Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Prudent Prepping: Repurposing Bags

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

Erin's post about redoing her GHB reminded me that I have been putting off redoing mine, both for the Summer Gear Swap and to better protect the gear inside. What I'd really like to do is make the everything fit into a series of dry sacks similar to these from Amazon. Unfortunately, my GHB has several compartments and I would only able to use the smallest bags, and not too efficiently either, so what I am doing instead is repurposing* some packaging from work to accomplish almost the same thing.

I've used dry sacks before when rafting and they work very well in protecting their contents. They are also buoyant, which makes them easy to find if you end up in the water. The downside is they are not clear, so it can be difficult to know what is inside, and they take some time to open when you need access to their contents. Instead of those, I'm using some industrial strength zip lock bags to sort my gear. I saved one or two of this type of bag a long time ago when I worked in a different area, and now it seems the same supplier is sending goods to where I am now. So far I have bags about the same size as store-brand sandwich bags, but larger volume orders come in what are supposed to be gallon equivalents.

I am also changing from all-black tools and gear to things that can be seen more easily in the dark and when digging gear out in a hurry. Not only will a very heavy gauge clear plastic bag help in this, the side benefit of being waterproof is a bonus. The downside is a shipping label that is pretty much permanently attached. I really don't want to try several of the chemicals which I know will soften most adhesives, because I'm afraid the bag will become brittle and crack sometime in the future.

When I get more of both sizes, I will show how they work in sorting my gear.

*I laugh when I read words like 'repurposing'. Why, back in the day we called it something else: dumpster diving. 




Recap And Takeaway
  • Reusing something to make your life better is a great thing and when it works right out of the gate, even better.
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.