Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Prudent Prepping: New Belt

 The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.  

Things are a bit slower than normal around Equipe Escargot, with the weather bringing gusts of 45 mph and rainfall measured by inches per hour not too far away. This prompted my friends and I to look over our emergency supplies. My gear is in good shape, and the Purple Bag Lady is just fine, but the internet and power were not reliable and backup power packs and flashlights were made ready to go. 

One thing that I seem to neglect checking are everyday items like clothes. I have favorite things that I like and keep well past time for replacement because they're familiar, like my old belt: the area where my phone case clipped on was terribly worn with the color rubbed off, and the holes in the area I buckle were so stretched the next hole was too tight. I needed a replacement. I bought this:

Thirty Dollar Gun Belt

I'd originally looked at this company's belt as a gift after several people mentioned how nice their own were holding up. Since I've spent more than $30 on inferior belts in the past, I decided to order one for myself first instead of ordering somewhat blind as to quality and finish. All I can say is WOW! This belt is solid, stiff but flexible, and looks better in person than what the picture shows.

 This is the Distressed Black Belt, and there are barely noticeable 'distress' marks in the photograph. I wasn't sure what 'Distressed' meant exactly... was the leather showing actual scarring or marks from the cow? Could you see the brand mark? Well, not exactly; the marks are added to the belt after it has been made, to give the appearance of some age and wear. Info from the website:
  • One solid piece of beautiful Genuine USA Full Grain Leather Steerhide. 
  • You may see some natural hide and color variations on the front and back, this ensures a genuine full grain leather hide.
  • Custom handcrafted at a real USA company leather shop.
  • Vegetable tanned (veg-tanned) drum-dyed leather hides.
  • 1/4 inch thick or in leather talk, right around 14-15 ounces.
  • 1 1/2 inches wide - Perfect width for standard belt loops and holster slots.
  • Heavy-duty roller buckle with a thick center tongue/prong.
  • For Options in hardware  Click Here
  • We use high quality Chicago screws for changeable buckle.
  • Nine (9) large oval buckle holes spaced at 3/4 inch apart.
I chose to order the standard buckle and order my regular waist size, since this is to be a non-gun belt. The sizing instructions are very clear on how to get the perfect fit by measuring from the crease on your existing belt to the buckle hinge. I measured and chose to have less tail showing past the buckle.

It's been 3 weeks now, and other than my phone case not quite clipping all the way over the belt I have zero complaints. Thanks to everyone who mentioned this great company!

Recap And Takeaway
  • Check your gear, all of it, to see if things are worn and broken. My old belt wasn't broken, but if I had to go somewhere right after work, it would have looked shabby.
  • One extremely nice belt from Thirty Dollar Gun Belt, ordered direct. Sorry, not available from Amazon.
  • Check out all their other gear too. If those items are as nice as this belt, there should be zero complaints!

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.