Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Care Home Planning

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

I needed to ask some questions at the Care Home where my Mom is staying:
  • What sort of Disaster Plans are in place?
  • How will you evacuate if there is a fire?
  • What about really sheltering in place, with no going out at all? 
  • How much food and water is kept on hand? 
I was surprised and reasonably satisfied with the answers.

Ready To Go
State-licensed homes are required to have a plan in place before opening. Listed in a file kept on the premises, and available for viewing, were detailed answers to my questions. 

These homes have very detailed plans that must be updated if the needs of the residents, or their number, changes. For example, if there are wheelchair-using people, how will rescue personnel know where they are? On-site staff will likely have to get people out, as the generic "Go out your window and meet at the mailbox" doesn't apply here.

From what I found out, getting folks out of the building, while potentially a challenging, seems to be covered. If the building is too damaged to return to, arrangements have been made with a close-by motel. Transportation for those that can't walk will be handled by a private ambulance service.

I'm truly blessed my Mom is in this particular facility, as the woman in charge -- the State of California licensed Administrator -- is known to you all as the Purple Pack Lady. This fact made the transition out of the house my parents built and where I was raised somewhat easier for her.  
 
Food
This also a State of California requirement. Depending on the specific needs of the clients, there has to be a certain amount on hand of basic food (milk, bread, cereals) and whatever is required for specific diets, though I'm not sure if there is a requirement for X number of days. I have seen enough of the basics (rice, beans and other dried items) to last quite a few days, and if there is an extended power outage, a gas grill is available for cooking.

Water
This, however, is something that concerns me: I would like to see quite a bit more water stored, possibly twice as much as is on hand now.

Every time I've visited, there are multiple cases of half-liter bottles on hand, so that isn't where I see a problem. The extra water that is on hand is in 5 gallon bottles, and right now there is one per person. That isn't out of line for normal requirements, but for older people a bit more water could be needed to keep everyone cool, especially when inland California weather is considered. It regularly reaches 100 degrees here, but not for as long as in other places around the state. It is not my place to tell the owner how to run their business, but I have mentioned my thoughts to PPL. If something changes, great; if not, I may set aside some extra water in the Administrator's Office, just to be safe. Assuming she agrees, of course. 

Medications
This isn't state-mandated, but my Mom (and I think others) has a 1-2 month supply of prescriptions on hand in a locked cabinet. This makes keeping track of what's needed, and when to reorder, a low stress chore. 

What is mandated, however, is a clear listing of what medications are to be given at what times and to whom. All pills are in their original pharmacy bottles with Doctor, contents, and refills clearly visible. They are also set to be easily scooped up quickly, if needed. 

Recap And Takeaway
  • I'm happy to see clear rules that make sense for this business. This only touches on what is required to operate a care home in California, as the Administrator is the only person to have a license. I could own a care home, but there has to be a state certified operator in place before opening the doors. As such, Purple Pack Lady has all the day-to-day 24 hour headaches, staffing responsibilities and stress, without the big payout at the end of the month. She loves it, though.
  • Nothing was purchased this week and I don't plan on buying anything right now. 
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.