Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Fixing A Get-Home-Bag, part the Latest

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.
 
We return to the Work In Progress GHB for the Purple Pack Lady. I'm (slowly)getting it filled with useful things, and not just things that I think are useful either. Let's cover the things I want to add. 
  
What's Going In
  • Flashlight: I gave her two Nitecore P12GT flashlights similar to what I have in my car and bags. If the need arises to Get Home, the bag has a light and so does the door pocket of my car. There were originally one in each car, but the second car is being sold, freeing up one light to be permanently in the GHB.
  • Water Bottle: I added a Nalgene quart bottle with 3 packets of Gatorade mix inside. 
  • Snacks: These are still a question. PPL doesn't like granola-type bars, trail mixes and the like, so those items will not be her first choice. Things like canned tuna and crackers are fine, but most people (both of us included) don't think of those as breakfast food. "I like chocolate!" is a common statement, but finding something stable that won't turn into goo in the back of a car is the problem.
  • Tools: I'm looking for a small multi-tool in my stored gear to add to this pack, because I've at least three that are in the bottom of a tote. Which tote, however, is the question. I've looked in the ones here, but that leaves two other places with totes to dig through. I know if I order a Leatherman, the weekend after Amazon delivers it I'll find one sitting on the corner of my desk. 
  
Her Choices
I wrote about the EDC knife that lives on a lanyard with keys in this postand from the results you could reasonably think that knives are a problem. 

Wrong. As the camping gear was being cleaned off in preparation for my short trip, someone said to me, "Ohhh, what is that???", pointing at a sheathed knife. "Can I have this one? It's cute! I like it!!!"



What I just lost is a Benchmade Protagonist. This hurts a bit, since I'm not buying Benchmade any longer and it seems this model, a Tanto point model #167BK, isn't available.

Here is the Amazon ad for the also 'Currently Unavailable' Protagonist Drop Point knife, for comparison:
  • Formerly my knife
    HIGH-QUALITY: The 154CM stainless steel blade is tough, rust resistant, and holds an edge well. The Grivory handle is exceptionally stable and durable.
  • WELL-DESIGNED: The Protagonist 169 is a fixed blade, full tang knife, providing greater strength and reliability than a folding knife. The simplicity of the knife also makes it easy to clean.
  • ALWAYS READY: The 169 features Versaflex over-mold on the handle, making it easy to grip and use. The injection molded sheath is durable and includes a MOLLE-compatible Malice Clip for ultimate accessibility.
  • VERSATILE: The Protagonist 169's drop-point, utility blade style and all-around functionality make it ideal for outdoor activities and tactical applications.
  • GUARANTEED FOR LIFE: Benchmade's limited Lifetime Warranty and LifeSharp Service keep your knife in the best condition. If your knife needs repair or sharpening, Benchmade will take care of it. Available for knives purchased from an authorized dealer.
It fits me well and also her much smaller hand just fine, so while I won't have it to use, I do know where it is and that it is appreciated. I now need to find a similar knife to go back into my camping gear.

As an aside, when I find grocery items or even personal care products that do what I want, I've learned to buy several at a time because I seem to be the Anti-Popular shopper in that what I like will soon be discontinued, or changed so much that I don't like it or it doesn't do what I want. This is a very good example. 

Wish me luck.
 
 Recap And Takeaway
  • Since the Purple Pack Lady has a 5 mile commute and I take my bag if we drive longer distances, the extra time and care spent in getting everything just right is important. 
  • And worth it! Hugs and a heartfelt, "Thank you, Honey" are good to hear.
  • Nothing was purchased this week, but a replacement knife is on the list. I know several of you will have suitable replacements in mind!
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds. 

3 comments:

  1. How about nature valley sweet and salty peanut bars. High energy, some salt and protein and not really granola like. I also use them for chasers for a pill that must be taken with food if I need it at midnight! I prefer Gerber multi tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep Payday bars in my GHB. Peanuts, caramel and a good amount of salt. They don't melt in the vehicle on 105 degree days, although they are hard to eat frozen. ( Live in Nevada )

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.