Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Prudent Prepping: Idle Musings

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

This post is going to be several topics that I've mentioned before, or are things that haven't really made it on my "Seriously, Make This Happen" list. At least yet. 

Range Tripping
Even with the cold, rain and wind over the last three weeks, every time I try to sneak out to the closest range and sight in the Swamp Fox Kingslayer mentioned here, here and here, either the benches have been full with a line to get in or it's been too rainy to even open up. With little rain in the forecast through the weekend, I don't expect to be reporting anything but more disappointment. However, I will make several attempts at it, just in case I get lucky. If I get in, right after finishing I'm going to buy some lottery tickets.

Purple Pack Additions
In the continuing story of The Purple Pack, the last addition was a Sawyer Mini mentioned in this post from November 2020. As was mentioned, our schedules don't match very often and getting together to discuss serious additions is hard. As the year progresses, we seem to have more and more time to talk and plan about what might happen when/if the weather calms down and the state doesn't catch on fire again. I won't push for major changes, but rather for small things that are obviously practical right now and not 'Prepping Related', like upgraded flashlights for her cars. 

Speaking of which, I ordered two Nitecore P12GT 1000 Lumen Flashlights

https://amzn.to/36B1ERF

From the Amazon page: 

  • Premium CREE XP-L HI V3 LED
  • Maximum output 1000 lumens
  • Boasts a peak beam intensity of 25,700cd and
    high efficiency circuit board provides up to 520 hours runtime on low level
  • Side switch interface provides one handed operation and easy access to all functions
  • Intelligent memory function stores preferred brightness setting
  • High-efficiency regulation circuit provides unwavering output
  • Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
  • Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy with HAIII military grade hard-anodized finish
  • Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8

I have two of these right now, and I recently ordered an extra charger to have one at home and one ready to go. This way, every small flashlight uses the same batteries and charger, making it very easy to swap batteries around so everyone can have a operating light. 

The very next addition that I want to make is a stove of some kind. I've been told, "Why do I need a stove? You are with me and you have one, so why do I need one too?" I'm seriously thinking of putting an Esbit Stove and fire cubes in a ziplok, putting it in the bottom and saying nothing about it! Unfortunately, that's not how I operate and no matter how much I'd like to do that, I can't.
https://amzn.to/3aw7Ziz

Once I figure out how to clear that hurdle, I think it will be easier to upgrade to the SOLO Stove I have sitting on top of my storage totes, just waiting to go to a good home! 

Recap And Takeaway

  • Continuing to take things easy, since "Slow and Steady Wins the Race" to prepping success!
  • Purchased this week: Two NITECORE P12GT 1000 Lumen flashlights from Amazon for $73.95 each and one Nitecore D2 DigiCharger from Amazon for $20.99, both with Prime shipping. 
  • Everyone now has interchangeable lights for all vehicles and a spare charger! 
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.