Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Prudent Prepping: Red Dot pt. 2

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

In last week's blog post I glossed over the base and mount for the red dot sight I installed. I was asked elsewhere to give more detail on the RS Regulate parts that were used. Here is the expanded explanation!

RS Regulate
I have to say it was really interesting to see how well the RS Regulate mount and base went together. Not only was it easy to build, but it mounted extremely easily. 

I can't take pictures as nice as the ones on the website, and so this link shows the details of how simple and strong everything is. 

This picture shows the adjusting bolt and locking bar mentioned in Figures 3-6. 

Bolt, Bar and Latch

If you are as unfamiliar with AK-style mounts like I am, the bracket on the side is where all additional optic mounts are attached.
 
AK Optic Rail 

AK Optic Mount
The base slides onto this bracket from Right to Left (towards the muzzle) and then the latch shown in Figure 7-8 is closed after making sure there is no play or wiggle room between bracket and optic mount.

Before anyone asks, the odd inverted "L" shape in front of the trigger guard is a CA Approved device that requires a tool to remove the magazine, allowing me to use the ones I already own. Yes CA is special in all the wrong ways.

One thing I almost didn't mention last week was the RS Regulate proprietary rail and why I needed to hunt so hard for the actual red dot base: the base and mount are a special shape that allows the owner to mount optics on the centerline of the gun, since most AK pattern firearms have a sheet metal bolt cover. Yes, there are replacement covers that are much sturdier with standard-width rails, and I chose not to do that.

Top View

Base, Mount and Red Dot

Here is a top view of the rail, mount and red dot. If you look closely at the cap screws you can see the amount of room for left and right adjustment that is available. This means that the red dot itself will need only minor adjustment to sight in, since the bulk of the movement will be done with the mount screws.

The red dot is placed in the middle of the base as a starting point for me, as I have no experience with red dots and don't know the amount of eye relief I might need. Unfortunately, I don't have a vise or a steady enough place to prop things so I can't get a nice view through the Swampfox Kingslayer Red Dot. I don't expect problems, though, as the Kingslayer is clear and the brightness adjustments are easy. 

Again, I can't say enough about how nice everything came together as I finished a project that I put off for much too long.

Recap And Takeaway
  • Please look at last week's post for info on the Kingslayer Red Dot. I recommend that everyone look at Swampfox for great products at outstanding prices.
  • The only bad news is the RS Regulate mount and base I used are now both out of stock. A friend joked that I must have sent too much business their way, but in fact I believe it's because their line of AK accessories so good that they sell out really quickly!
  • Nothing was purchased this week, but there are items on my shopping list. 
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.