Thursday, August 26, 2021

August Roundup


The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping

This is another in a collection of posts where I have topics that by themselves don't make a stand-alone article.

Safety of Persons
Recently a resident of a board and care home accidentally went outside without anyone noticing (this was early in the morning, before the residents were normally awake). As best can be figured out, a staff member was carrying out some garbage, left a door open, and the resident went out that door. 

Later that day, someone called the police to report that an unfamiliar  elderly person was walking down. The police found the resident, and asked them for their name and where they lived. They gave their name and pointed in a direction regarding where they lived.  The local police were familiar with the location of a care home in the area (police are called every time someone dies there) and brought them back to the home.  Fortunately for everyone involved, there were no injuries and the weather was mild, creating a reasonably happy ending to what could have been a disaster. There is now discussion on how to have some sort of ID for this resident in case something like this happens again. 

Gear Storage
My parents' house has an official offer at a price that's acceptable to all parties, which means the last bit of my stuff there needs to be moved out by the end of the month. To further complicate things, my sister and brother in law are getting close to putting their place on the market by the end of next month. I had most of my duplicate "Need It Now" gear in their garage and now I have to find a new storage spot for it, as where I live lacks the room for it; we don't have a garage, and my roommate has dibs on our storage area .

I do have some emergency supplies at the care home the Purple Pack Lady runs, but there is no way to disguise several (okay, seven) plastic totes in a corner, which means finding another place to put my stuff and the potential necessity of weeding out the things that I would like to have from the things that are absolutely necessary if a place to keep them can't be found. I really don't want to do that, as everything I have cost not only money but time to decide on what to buy in the first place. 

I have also upgraded things from when I started to write here, but some things are still not in my budget to replace right now. I will post whatever solution I find, good or bad.

My "OH S**T!" Moment
When I wrote about my card problem in this post, I was aware that the ability to recover the money was very doubtful. Well, it turned into impossible, for the reasons listed. I seriously recommend going through my post and then doing the same with Chaplain Tim's follow-up post. There are bad people out there who will take from you everything you have.

Recap And Takeaway
  • Being able to identify people outside of a disaster is important, and even more so when things go bad.
  • Figuring out how to keep my gear safe, organized and accessible is vital. I'm still looking for those answers.
  • Look at how you pay for things, and be as safe and discerning as possible.  
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.