Thursday, August 12, 2021

California Burnin'

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

Yes, California is on fire again, but the fires aren't as close to me as in previous years. While that brings me a small amount of comfort, it still means major portions of this state is being destroyed. So here's a reminder to check your Go Bag and evacuation plans.

Gotta Go and (Maybe) Never Coming Back
That was what happened to a relative who was planning to retire soon to Northern California. He had a bit more warning than people in the town of Paradise had, but the results are the same.

Greenville, California before:


   Greenville, California after:


(If you'd like to see more photos, go here.)
 
While this wasn't their primary residence, it was where the family spent lots of time enjoying the beautiful scenery and the historic town. As you'd imagine he's not really interested in talking about what happened, but I'll try to get info later on how his evacuation went down.

I'm taking this as a reminder to my household to review all of our plans for getting safely out of our house.

What's First
There are two dogs here that will be tossed into the first car headed out. I have all my important items in a tote in my closet with a tag that says IMPORTANT.  That's the first thing I'll grab, and if there's time the rest of the totes will be grabbed as they are stacked in order of importance. 

A bit of good fortune is that Purple Pack Lady has her important papers at her place, and I'm going to ask to put duplicates of my papers there as my folks' place used to be my off-site storehouse. I'll also suggest she puts duplicates here, if she wants. 

What's Next?

  • Update my paperwork and where I need to keep everything.
  • Consolidate everything into as small a package as possible. Having to Get Out Of Town or a burning building could mean a lot of people wanting to save things important to them.
  • Have everyone realize the importance of doing something to prepare for a disaster, and sharing where their important things are.

Recap And Takeaway

  • Follow through on your plans. I certainly am.

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.