Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Summer Checkups

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

Checkups aren't just for cars, as there are many other things that can use looking after on a regular basis. 

Well... I did happen to start with my car, but that was just the beginning.

Car Checkup
I take my car through the wash at the local station about once a month, which is when the dust starts to show on the white paint. The last time I went, the overhead blower didn't do a very good job of clearing the water from the windshield so I turned on my wipers as I drove out. Bad idea: both arms struggled to move, and when they did, the blades partially tore off the frame. In my defense, I wash the windshield every time I fill up, but I don't necessarily lift the wipers up every time. 

I live close to 3 different parts stores, so the shop with the easy access got my business. I don't have a good picture of the old blades as this was after dark, so just imagine a good half of the rubber edge flopping on each side. I believe the past three weeks being in the high 90s to low100s signed the death warrant on these wiper blades.

Wipers, washer fluid and spare tire pressure check are things I do twice a year, 4th of July-ish and Christmas, so these were due. 

Get Home Bag Checkup
My bag is always being refreshed as I use some of its contents every month. What isn't looked at regularly is the Purple Pack Lady's bag; her schedule is so janky that I'm lucky if I see her car once a week!

The only thing needing to be refreshed was her older model Nitecore P12GT, so I recharged it with the boxy charger. This exact kit appears to be not available through Amazon, but the flashlight is still a current model, just with different charging options.

Available at Amazon for $69 (nice!)

Home Checkup
Since  I live in a rented condo, I don't have to worry about fixing leaks, physical faults or even smoke and CO2 detectors. That being said, there are items I do keep an eye on, and the security lights in the carport are one of the things I don't leave to the maintenance folk. Due to spotty coverage, we've added motion detector lights to ensure the cars and my motorcycle are visible without having extra  spotlights running 8-10 hours a night. 

I try to keep a gas shutoff tool by the meters for our fourplex, but the last one disappeared from where I had it somewhat hidden and hooked to the gas meter. However, our building is having foundation drains installed, and dirt was removed around the meters to the point where I guess the wrench was exposed.

I won't not be trying to replace it at the meter for at least another month, because the situation looks like this:   


Sorry, but I couldn't take a picture that really shows the depth of the trench. You'll have to trust me when I say it is 8' to the bottom of the bracing gear. My front door moat is even deeper, at almost 10' deep.! The plywood shown at the top is the sides of the 'bridge' leading to the front door.


We have another 2-4 weeks of this work before the trenches will be filled, landscaping replaced, irrigation run and the whole house air conditioner replaced. It's been an interesting 5 months, in the Chinese proverb definition of 'interesting'.

Medical Checkups
I have had myself looked at this year as well, and there is nothing major wrong with me: blood pressure is good and cholesterol is a bit high (it's hereditary), but I can't get new glasses until my cataracts are fixed. This isn't a shock; I knew I was due for this surgery two years ago, but now there's no avoiding it. I'm hoping to get everything done this year, as the chance of taking an actual, no-joke vacation early next year is possible! Wish me luck!

Recap and Takeaway
  • Regular checkups should be scheduled so that when a disaster hits, everyone is confident in what is packed and ready to use.
  • Be certain that bags and kits in your second (or third) vehicle are checked too.

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!
 
If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.