Friday, December 5, 2014

My Bug-Out Bag: Part 1 of Many

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.
Since Evelyn and others have shown you their bug-out bags, it's probably time to show you mine. However, because mine is big and filled with a lot of stuff (probably too much stuff, if I'm being honest), I'm going to do it in sections rather than dump a lot of pictures on you at once.

Before we get started, let me say this: I want feedback. I may not have this loaded optimally, and I may have forgotten something or have too many of one kind of thing and not enough of another.

The core of my bug-out system is this, the High Sierra Appalachian 75. The 75 stands for its volume of 75 liters; that's 4576.78 cubic inches of space. It was a birthday present.

Picture courtesy of Amazon.com
I chose this pack for several reasons:
  1. A hip belt that puts weight on my pelvis rather than my shoulders.
  2. Big internal capacity.
  3. Lots of storage space.
  4. Individual compartments to keep things organized.
  5. It comes with its own rainfly.
I picked Amazon green because it will blend in with foliage (should that ever be necessary) without making me look like an obvious prepper/survivalist by being all camouflage and MOLLE-strapped.

Oh, don't worry, the camo is taken care of internally...

Here is what is in the sleeping bag compartment:



A pair of jeans, because it's important to have a change of clothes, and because jeans are tough and versatile.  (A shirt, socks and underwear are in the main compartment.)



A camp towel that I got from Walmart, and an ultra-compact sleeping bag by Suisse Sport. I picked this one because it has a 4-star rating with over 1,000 reviews, and with a compression sack it shrinks down to about the size of a coffee can. It's only rated for 30 degrees F, but I live in Florida so that isn't an issue
From left to right:
  • 10-liter folding sink;
  • one of those fleece blankets that charities send when they want money (this is in case I don't want to sleep onside the sleeping bag but still want something over me);
  • an Exped air pillow, medium. I need the extra thickness because I'm a side-sleeper.



 A waterproof camo tarp that I bought online either from Sportsman's Guide or Cheaper than Dirt, I don't exactly recall which. I don't remember the size but it's large enough to cover most 2-person tents, so I'm going to say it's about 10'x10'.



Picture courtesy of Amazon.com

In the "water bottle pouches" to either side of this compartment I have placed an Adventure Medical Thermolite Bivvy (for the rare situations when it might get below 30*, or if I find myself further north, I can put my sleeping bag inside it) and a Klymit Static V air pad.


Why do I have them in the water bottle pockets?  Because I use a hydration bladder, which keeps the water higher and between my shoulders. One should always pack the heavy stuff as close to your back as possible, with lighter and bulkier things at the very bottom and very top.

Next week:  The exterior 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.