Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Prudent Prepping: EDC, Part the Latest

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate  on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

I've talked about not wanting to carry large amounts of stuff on my belt, and tried to go small, but that attempt ended up being slightly too small. Most recently I went medium-size, purchasing of a 5.11 sling bag to carry my daily supplies in an organized manner without going to a backpack. Two days after receiving the 5.11 bag, a good friend dropped off a lightly used Maxpedition Jumbo he found to be too small (!) for his needs. With this wealth of options you'd think I would be doing a happy dance with all of my choices... but I got some news from work that changes what I have to carry and use every day.

Top: Maxpedition, 5.11
Bottom: Handheld ordering device
Behold the new ordering device I an using, shown with its required holster, beside a pair of gloves for a size reference. I can't really keep the device in my bag and bring it out when I need it, since I'm using it regularly during my day. The carrying case has some advantages, though: my utility knife, magic marker and pen fit into the side pockets, eliminating the small clip-on pouch I was using before.

Since I'm a southpaw, the new ordering machine rides on my left hip now. which is where my sling bag normally goes. So now I'm back to carrying a little over one pound on my belt, along with having a bag carrying my miniature office supplies: note books, work sheets, small first aid kit, mints, hand sanitizer and other required junk.

This doesn't make me very happy, but I am happy to have a job.

A closer look at the 
handheld ordering device, about 1.5 times 
larger than the iPhone 5.
Purchases This Week
While going through Sam's Club I stocked up on a 90 count box of Emergen-C. Cold and flu season is here and half of the people I see every day are sneezing, hacking and coughing. This means if I don't try and protect myself, no one else is going to do it. This is an easy way to get my vitamins by mixing one packet into a bottle of water and drinking it at lunch.

The Takeaway
  • I am carrying a smaller bag than a backpack, but still have stuff on my belt.
  • Work dictates how things run during business hours.
  • When I'm off work I can use my bag, but that means I have to load and unload my belt holster. 
  • Personal protection means taking care of the internal needs (like eating) as well as external, so demands of the job come first. 
    Recap
    • 90 count box of Emergen-C. $19.98 from Sam's Club, $17.77 plus shipping from Amazon

    Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon this Holiday season, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

    If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

    NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The Fine Print


    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

    Creative Commons License


    Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.