Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Prudent Prepping: Weather Prep

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate  on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

It is finally raining here in California and I have found a few things to check on and repair, starting with the sun roof in my truck. I noticed a wet spot on my arm rest this morning and, looking for the source, found the latch handle directly overhead wet also. I've had to replace the gasket material under the mountings screws before, so it may be time to do it again. All I need is a dry couple of hours (or a nice garage) to get this work done. And the work on my brakes. Yeah.

With the change in weather, I've made sure to have my rolls of 2 mil plastic and duct tape handy. I don't expect to make an emergency shelter or use it for temporary repairs; I just need to know where it is, is all. I do live on a street with plenty of trees and the potential is there for a branch breaking off and hitting the house, but with the tree services trimming everything and no chance of snow or ice loading up a limb, I think I'm pretty safe.

Personal Weather Prep

Internal
I have a very bad cold that seems to be making the rounds here: chest congestion, cough, runny nose, sore throat and body aches. To help fight this, I am packing a liquid Day-Time cough medicine along with the usual Tylenol and other OTC remedies. I don't take them all at once, --I have them to share with others less prepared, scoring Gold Stars for me and my coworkers! Because I am feeling sick, staying warm and comfortable is really hard where I work. While it isn't below freezing and I am inside, it is a large warehouse building with doors that are always open and the crosswinds do not allow me enough time to warm up and stay that way.

External
I have my lightweight wool hiking socks and liners out, and I'm wearing them on the very coldest days. (An extra set is in my GHB, just in case.) These are from REI and have held up well. I believe the liners are from REI also, but I'm not certain.

 I like the fact the sock is thicker in the heel and toe while being thinner in the middle and hugging the arch of my foot. If my feet get wet, the liner moves the moisture away and the wool gives me some cushion and keeps me warm. Just the thing for rainy mornings that start at 5 AM!

The Takeaway
  • Look for leaks in your car. Leaves clogging a gasket could allow water in your trunk to spoil your gear or corrode connections 
  • Prepare for colder weather now, while you can. 50° F is not a normal December temperature.
  • Prepare your body for cold weather too. More food, fluids and extra clothing will keep you healthy. 

Recap
  • Nothing was purchased for this week.

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon this Holiday season, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!


If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.