Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Prudent Prepping: Trunk Junk and the Box of Holding


The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

Many thanks to loyal reader Matt Rodgers for the suggestion to put Velcro on the bottom of the storage box I have in my trunk! This is a temporary fix until I can afford a more permanent solution.

The Box
First, I needed to figure out what size and shape box was necessary to fit into the corner of the trunk. This Sterilite box , designed for storing 8.5" x 11" paper with an overall size of 14"x 11"x 6 1/4", is almost perfectly suited to my task -- it even has clip latches on the lid, which will keep things in the box as secure as possible.

The box is just a little too long to fit flat into the available space, so I used a pack of heavy duty Velcro in the area with the best chance of sitting flat on the carpet. This Velcro has a pretty strong rating, so if the box has to be removed I'm afraid it will pull off the carpet and not 'unhook' from the loop side.



With the box tucked into the corner, I can put my larger pieces of gear in the trunk while still being able to reach everything I have in this box. Right now that's window cleaner, microfiber towels, air freshener spray and my faux-Batman utility pouch.

There will be an upgrade to my trunk storage very soon, when finances settle down and I can see exactly how much extra money there is for prepping purchases. There could potentially be several boxes of the same brand and type, but in different sizes, in my trunk. Depending on how soon improvements are made, a fire extinguisher and a larger first aid kit will go back here. I do have to resist the temptation to fill this larger amount of available space with gear, though

My next project is figuring out how to secure my GHB and lunch box while keeping as much floor space as clear as possible. I think my bag will fit well into the side opposite of the Box of Holding, but it will need a way to hold it up to the side of the trunk. The floor panel might be able to support a small screw-in hook, and the upper lip of the trunk may have enough of an edge to take a bungee strap of some kind as a way to keep everything from sliding.

More experimentation looks to be necessary.

The Takeaway
  • Don't reinvent the wheel! Other folks have faced your current problem; look for advice and take suggestions.
  • Keep It Simple and Cheap. My trunk boxes are to hold important gear; they aren't the important gear.

The Recap

If you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.