Friday, February 10, 2017

Number One with a Bullet: Keeping It All Straight with Bullet Journals

There's been a bit of discussion among members of our Facebook group about keeping things organized and in rotation with preps. There are countless apps to help you "organize your life and up your productivity."

Well that's great, but when was the last time you used whichever ones you have? And no, using them right now just because I reminded you that you have them most certainly doesn't count.

I hate to tell you this, but if you aren't using these apps to keep your non-prep stuff straight as well, then they aren't going to work for your preps.

I've been experimenting with a system called bullet journaling for use with keeping track of my preps. It's an old-fashioned, hand-written, pen/pencil and paper analog system. There are a couple of reasons for this.

Hand-Written Notes are Better
Don't believe me? Check out these links:
  1. A Learning Secret: Don't Take Notes with a Laptop
  2. Take Notes By Hand for Better Long Term Comprehension
"But Evie, those are for college kids. We're adults." Yes, adults that are getting older. And what happens with our memories as we get older, ladies and gents?

I do horribly with trying to keep track of things on anything electronic. I forget what I named my notes, where I put them, and even which electronic devices they're on. Some of our preppers in the Facebook group use Excel; more power to you, guys. This is for those of us trying to reduce our headaches.

They're SHTF-Proof
How many of you have complained about yourself, your loved ones, or your kids being too attached to technology? Hmm? Ah ah, no fibbing!

They're Easy
Once you get the hang of the system, you literally spend ten minutes while drinking your preferred hot beverage of civilized behavior inducement.

I've been doing this since December, and have decided that I will be bullet journaling for a long time.
However, the spreads for keeping track of preps are still an ongoing process of experimentation -- I still haven't found a method that I like best. I'll keep plugging away on it, though, as I do think it's worth the time and effort.

For those of you curious about the bullet journal and would like to learn more:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.