Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Prudent Prepping: Personal Update

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate  on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

Latest News
I have started a new job that gives me medical coverage and 40+ hours a week Monday to Friday. The not-quite-bad news is I am driving 30-90 miles a day in my older truck, with a start time of 5 a.m., which means leaving my house by 4 and getting up well before that. To be up that early, I have to be in bed and trying to fall asleep by 8-8:30, which is early even for old folks. (You in the peanut gallery, pipe down!)

I'm not complaining; this is just an explanation to my friends for my absence from some of the boards and chats that are my usual hangouts late at night or early in the morning.

As I said two posts ago, my bills have taken up most of the cash I had for any extra purchases which includes my prepping items for several more weeks. Maybe longer.

That being said, I did make a purchase before blowing my budget.

New Additions
I bought two, two- person SOL Survival Blankets. From the Sol website:The most advanced emergency blanket on the market - meticulously designed never to fail when you're counting on it with your life. It all starts with the material, vacuum-metalized polyethylene, that reflects 90% of your body heat while also offering a number of other important features that set it apart from traditional mylar blankets; it opens easily and will not shred if nicked or punctured, rips and tears can be repaired, it is quiet and won't crinkle in high winds, and its high-visibility orange exterior makes it easy for rescuers to find you. Plus, survival tips and techniques are printed directly on the blanket so you have them when you need them. Sized to fit two people.
The reason for two is so I have an extra one to go into my Get Home Bag and one to go into my friend's baby steps GHB. I added a second one to my kit because for half the week, I'm a two-day hike home and an extra blanket might come in handy.

Since I am driving farther I have also added a bit more of all the items in my GHB:
  • Food: Two more cans of chicken for a total of four; two more packages of instant oatmeal (four total) and a whole box of Instant Coffee (10 packs). 
  • Water: I have upped my water to 5 liters, not including the water I pack daily. 
  • Clothing: I've added an extra pair of wool socks.

Recap
  • 2 SOL Survival Blankets from REI, $7. Amazon has them for the same price or cheaper, if you subscribe and buy five or more of them.
As always, if you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.