Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Get Covered and Stay Sharp

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

This is not a Buffet Post, but it does have two completely different items reviewed.

I have a big head. No, not an exaggerated opinion of my self-worth, but a physically big head; luckilym not San Francisco Giants Manager Bruce Bochy (size 8 1/8!!!) large, but close. I have to try hats on, which makes ordering hats online a non-starter for me, as returning items over and over is not my favorite way to find products. As I've said before, it doesn't matter if it is an addition to my preps, clothes, or something I have not purchased before, I like to see, feel and try on things before spending my money.

I am blessed to have many fantastic places to shop for outdoor equipment within 30 miles of my house: several REI and The North Face Outlet, which is close to one of my weekly stops for my job. I went to both places looking for a summer hat -- not anything water repellent or insulated, but wide-brimmed and, if possible, UV blocking. I found what I needed at REI.

REI Sahara Outback
From the REI website:
  • UPF 50+ protection 
  • When not needed, the cape can stow inside the crown of the hat* 
  • Eyelets in the crown help dissipate excess heat 
  • Polyester headband wicks sweat 
  • Foam in the brim keeps the hat afloat if it gets dropped in water 
  • Adjustable chin strap

*The hat has been improved in that the neck cape is now stored in a pocket on the back portion of the brim.

I have found the size Large/XL fits me well, and the chin strap keeps the hat on my head in windy conditions.

The other addition to my gear is something I lost a while ago and have now replaced via Amazon.

Gerber Diamond Knife Sharpener
As Lokidude has mentioned here and elsewhere, keeping knives and other things sharp is very important. Not only will the job get done faster, there will be less energy spent, meaning you will not be tired and running the risk of being sloppy and having an accident.

From the Amazon entry:
http://amzn.to/1UM0Ywv
  • Rugged and reliable design in all our products
  • Can be used in various military, hunting, survival, tactical, industrial and outdoor situations
  • All products are field tested
  • Triple diamond plated design
  • Sharpens serrated and fine edge blades
  • Fish hook sharpener
  • Limited lifetime warranty
The Gerber Diamond Sharpener is "Great for putting a quick edge on your fishing hook or blade in the field". This is intended to keep a blade sharp or dress a blade, and not put a good edge on a dull tool.

Not shown in this picture is the flat portion of the extendable diamond rod, and just barely visible is the groove for putting a point back on fish hooks. I think this tool will only be used on my flat or non-serrated blades, since the curved profile does not fit into either Spyderco or Kershaw serrations.

The Takeaway
  • A good fitting, sun blocking summer hat with a neck drape. Everything I wanted!
  • A pencil size sharpening tool that is going into my camping gear, with the second one in my GHB.

The Recap
  • Sahara Outback Cape Hat: $34.50 from REI.
  • Gerber Diamond Sharpener: $8.52 from Amazon.

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.