Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Prudent Prepping: And Now For Something Completely Different

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

I have deliberately not written about any self defense topic or weapons, since I live in a state which denies its citizens the means to defend ourselves in a manner and with the tools that we the people choose.

I'm going to write about weapons from now on, mixed in with the rather boring posts of my prepping successes and failures.

Here is the first. 

The Pummel Pipe Melee Weapon
https://zombease.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/dsc_4444.jpg

A friend of the blog (hat tip to Mr. Sullivan) posted a link to this site. Erin, my stunningly beautiful and amazingly talented editor (Why thank you! -- Erin)  asked me how much I thought all the parts would cost and if I would write a post about it.

It is a very simple melee weapon. I approve of the way it is put together, and the materials used. If left  partially disassembled in a vehicle, even in the passenger cabin, you can have plausible deniability since these parts could be used for a gas line repair in your or someone else house.

Here are the pieces that I chose to use, with one small change to the original list.
  • 2  3/4" x 1 1/2" nipples   $1.26 each, $2.52
  • 2  3/4" caps                   $1.74 each, $3.48
  • 1 3/4" 3 way 'T'                                 $2.71
  • 1  3/4" to 1/2" adapter*                      $2.37
  • 3/4" x 24"  black iron pipe                  $7.24
  • 1  1/2" plug                                      $1.34 
* I changed to a 1/2" adapter since my local Big Box store didn't have the original spec 3/4" x 1/4" in stock.

When Erin asked what I thought all these parts would cost, I guessed about $20. I was very close: the total is $19.66!


Here is a close-up of the business end of the melee weapon, showing all the pieces in the order of assembly. I recommend starting from the outside and working towards the middle; since you are winding things down, everything will get tighter and tighter as you go. No special tools are required to put this together; just one or two channel lock pliers or vice grips.

The original article mentions using thread locking compound on all the joints to make everything permanently attached. This might be okay in the Zombie Apocalypse, but for everyday running around in your urban center, this might be a bit hard to explain. In fact, if you decide to glue things down, everything except the handle could be done now, the handle being detachable would keep it from looking suspicious. 

Or at least not quite as suspicious, anyway.

I personally do not need a weapon like this at the moment, but with this information, I know I could make one with minimum cost and time.

I approve of this.

The Takeaway
  • In situations like this, Faber College's motto of "Knowledge Is Good" comes to mind. Always try to learn something new every day. 
The Recap
  • One improvised melee weapon, built from easily sourced parts found in any hardware store: less than $20.
One More Important Note
I am actively advertising the fact that anyone in the San Francisco to Sacramento California area , who would like to learn the basics of safe firearm handling and marksmanship for free,  can contact me or any of the other people listed on the interactive map found in Monday's post. If you are elsewhere in the US, look at the map to find a contact near you. No more tragedies like Orlando.


Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.