Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Buffet Post


The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

I'm using this opportunity to write about several topics that I can't make into stand alone blog posts, so it's time for another buffet!

Targets
In my field test of the LaserMax Spartan, I used a large format training target called Group Shooter. You can see it in this picture, along with a very bright green dot! Check out that laser.


I bought this target from the Guns, Fishing & Other Stuff shooting range as a diagnostic aid to help get me on target, so that the laser would be showcased and not my poor shooting skills. I have used a similar target when taking less-experienced shooters to the range or people just learning to use handguns; here is the link to its .pdf version.

Just as with the large format target (above), I really like how it's easy for both the shooter and the teacher (me) to easily see where shots are going and what is the likely reason. Since the targets I print are on regular 8 1/2" x 11" paper, they are used at 5 yards and sometimes a lot less, depending how well shooters can follow directions. As a Lefty, following the printed directions means reading them mirrored to correct my missed shots. 

The best part about these targets? They are virtually free, if you think about how little a sheet of printer paper and black ink really cost.

Check Your Pantry
I talked about the bug problem in my closet in this post, and I now regularly check ALL my gear for any sign of pests, mold or mildew. Special attention goes to the food items I have in my emergency stores, since those are only looked at two times a year: anything not sealed in a foil or Mylar package gets inspected closely for webs, moths or worms. 
  • Always look in the back of your shelves for small flying moths. 
  • Use a flashlight if you need it, since the bugs like dark spaces and will be active when exposed to light. 
  • Getting rid of the moths usually requires the dumping of all items containing any grain or flour product and a thorough washing and rinsing of the entire cabinet. Even this doesn't guarantee getting rid of all traces of the bugs.
  • As a last resort, professional treatment may be required, since using many of the over-the-counter bug killers are not recommended (and some listed as prohibited) for food storage areas.

Since cleaning out my closet several times and washing everything stored in the back end, I've not seen any moths in over 6 months. This usually means the life cycle is broken, so unless I re-introduce a fresh batch* into my place, I'm golden!

* A very reputable grocery chain had a local store tagged for moths in their flour aisle (I don't have a newspaper link, but I know the technician who treated the store, and I saw them myself when I shopped there), so while you may be keeping a clean house, where you purchase supplies from may have a hidden -- or in this case, not-so-hidden -- problem.


The Takeaway
  • If you aren't an expert trainer, good training aids will make the experience easier.
  • Keeping fresh targets up forces shooters to think about the fresh target and not dwell on the old.
  • If you find a good, reputable operation, tell your friends. Word of mouth means more to people than any advertisement.
  • Bugs and other hidden problems can ruin your gear if not checked regularly.


The Recap
  • The Group Shooter: a very good target, usable at many distances. Available from Amazon in a 5 pack for $6.99 plus shipping.

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!


NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.