Thursday, December 1, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Giving

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

It's the holiday season, and regardless of which holiday you celebrate or if you choose to ignore the whole thing, we are still coming up to the end of the year. The weather is getting colder, and there are people in several places hurting due to fires and other emergencies so those folks who are better off might be looking to make a tax-deductible donation. While I don't make enough for that to matter, I still look to give a bit more.

Helping Others 
I don't have much money available, but I'm still able to donate to help folks in worse shape than I am. I took some and bought a turkey to donate to my local Food Bank. (I donate to the Food Bank whenever I can, but especially this time of year.) Safeway has Food Donation barrels -- your local market may do something similar -- and so when I went shopping, I bought two cans of beans and two cans of soup to donate.

Helping Myself
After a recent checkup, the results came back showing my cholesterol to be up a bit along with my weight. Neither is up very much, but both are still more than I'd like to see. With that in mind, I took a local gym up on their introductory pricing in their newest location! This means no fast food lunches or Foo Foo coffee during the week, but that needed to be done anyway. I can still see a movie or have a dinner out if I'm careful not to damage my savings or prepping budget. I hope that by doing this I can keep my future medical bills low, maintain a reasonable level of health and mobility, and be able to do the physical chores I still want to do when I want to do them.

The Takeaway
  • Whether you believe in karma, various deities or whatever tickles your fancy, helping others who don't expect help feels good. 
  • Helping yourself is as important as helping others. 

The Recap
  • Purchased this week: one turkey and four cans of food from Safeway for $29.59 . 

If you plan on buying anything through Amazon this holiday season, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.