Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Monthly Recap

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.


This post is a series of follow-up about other products which I've blogged about previously.


The TOOB
BlueI mentioned that I replaced the TOOB toothbrush and toothpaste system I'd used for about 6 months. Now I have to replace the set I bought about two months ago, as the toothpaste tube developed a crack which allowed the cap to pop off. The threads inside the tube are flat on one side now and I can't keep toothpaste from leaking into my bag.

I really, really like the small size and ability to carry two things at once, but even with buying everything locally (and cheaper than Amazon) I'm going to a regular brush with a travel cover and a partial tube of toothpaste in my EDC bag. I'm spending too much money trying to be smaller and lighter.

Antec Mobile Products LifeBar 10
I have used my backup battery for almost two months now, and the Antec Mobile Products LifeBar 10 reviewed here is a keeper. I can top off my phone and ear buds four times before needing to recharge the unit. These are strictly 'Top Off' recharges during my 30 minute lunch period, and there is still charging capacity showing on the power indicator after doing this. Both the phone and earbuds are charged fully when I get home each day.


Ear Bud Report: Blueant Pump Lite
In the battery report linked above, I mentioned using earbuds and that I would have a review soon. This is that review.

From the website:

Design Fit and Sound
Featuring 3 stabilizer sizes and ear tips, the Pump Lite allows you full customisation for a personalised fit and noise isolation seal for the ultimate in pure sound delivery allowing you to turn on, tune in and maintain focus.
  • Wireless HD in-ear sportsbuds
  • HD Audio - Energised sound clarity
  • Sweat-proof – IP54 rated
  • Over 4hrs Play Time
  • Personalised fit - Includes 3 sizes of stabilizers and tips
  • One Touch Control - Call, track and volume
  • Wideband microphone call capabilities
  • Siri/Google Integration
  • Bluetooth 4.1 - Connection with any Bluetooth phone
I found the different size in-ear tips the best feature so far, since most ear pieces *coughApplecough* don't fit or stay in my ears. I prefer cordless ear pieces because there are no wires dangling in the way of me carrying boxes, climbing ladders or reaching into awkward tight places. Wired units DO have the advantage of running longer without draining your phone but don't work as well for me.

Call quality is very good both ways; no one can tell I'm not using my phone directly.

The listed run time of 4 hours in one place and 6 hours in another seem to be the the minimum and maximum to be expected with the Pump Lite. I am getting right at 5 hours before the unit powers down. Charging at lunch will get me 1-2 hours more before turning off again.

The Takeaway 
  • Sometimes smaller and lighter is done at the expense of stronger and durable. 
  • I still like the TOOB toothbrush system, even with the problem I had with mine. If I needed the smallest possible way to carry a toothbrush and paste, this is what I'd buy again, problems or not. 
  • A good backup power source for your electronics can be handy and inexpensive.
  • With my state going completely "Hands Free" phone use while driving, a good, comfortable. easy-to-use ear piece is required.

The Recap 
  • TOOB Toothbrush system: $8.92 from Amazon with Prime.
  • Antec Mobile Products LifeBar 10: $25.99 from Amazon plus shipping.
  • BlueAnt Pump Lite earbuds: $39.99  from Amazon with Prime.

If you plan on buying anything through Amazon this holiday season, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.