Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Prudent Prepping: Junk In The Trunk

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

Well, 2017 is looking to be an eventful, 'interesting' (in the Chinese proverb/curse meaning) year. I have a new-to-me car that is now my primary vehicle: a 2012 Honda Accord.

The Trunk in Question
Trunk space in my Honda



All of my gear prior to this had to fit under the seat of my Nissan Frontier or in a very plain backpack that I could leave on the floor, hoping it would look too boring to warrant breaking in to find out if it held anything of value.

(And by value I mean 'flea market or pawn shop' value, not how much I might need the contents in an emergency.)

Now that I have a car with a trunk, I can keep my gear there where it's out of sight -- but that means I have to keep it organized. It's been years since I've needed to find trunk organizers, bins or ways to keep the containers from shifting and sliding. I have suggestions from the BCP team for Rubbermaid-type boxes for smaller items (which I need), but there is still nothing there to keep things from moving around. I've seen cargo nets in the trunks of other Hondas and Acuras, so I know that type of thing is available, just not how to adapt it (yet) to the trunk of my slightly older model.

Now I get to work up a list of things that I need to carry, along with a variable list of  wants that will more than likely be stored in separate containers. My GHB, lunch box and daily tools fit easily in the space behind the wheel well and the back edge of the trunk, so carrying everything that I think is needed should still leave plenty of room for normal trunk duties.

Here is another of my projects that will be slowly done, since my budget is now tighter than before. I plan on this being a priority for the next few weeks, so feedback and product suggestions will be appreciated!

The Takeaway
  • Organizing daily carry gear in your vehicle is as important as keeping it organized in your various bags.
The Recap 
  • I can now carry things discretely and securely that previously were too large, bulky or valuable to take with me without a trunk!
  • Nothing was purchased this past week, other than a 2012 Honda Accord to replace my beloved 2002 Nissan Frontier Long Bed Crew Cab.

If you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.