Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Prudent Prepping: Superior Food Storage Planning

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.  

My job has changed again, and I find myself traveling much, much less and working no more than 15 miles from home. Not only has this freed up more time during the afternoon, it has also potentially given me some extra money every month.

One thing lacking in my preps is food designed for long-term storage, and I plan on fixing that in 2018.

Finding Food
There have been several taste tests of 'Prepping Food' on this blog, most notably this one by Okie Rio and one by me with the assistance of two good friends. I have to say, my taste-off was a bit more successful then the items tested by my co-blogger! Since I have a very small sample size to work with (and a similarly sized budget), I do not plan to jump right in and purchase large amounts of unknown quality food. I need to find even more things I like, at an affordable, blue collar price.

What I'm Looking For
I know there is a wealth of knowledge and experience among our readers, so I expect to get advice and suggestions for my list.
  • Ingredients. Since I am looking at food to be used during an emergency, easily digested and nutritious food is important to me. While quality is key, I am not looking at only natural contents.
  • Special Diets. I have people with some slight dietary needs in my potential prepping group. Luckily there are no vegans or severely allergic members, so while those options are available, I don't have those worries.
  • Price. I do plan to buy multiple items to try to save some money by buying in bulk. I will also be looking to see exactly how large the servings-per-pack are, as another way to save money.
  • Storage and Life Expectancy. I really want to get the highest quality food as my budget allows, and I also want it to last as along as possible too. This might mean making a compromise between the two as I find out more about the available options.
The brands previously tested will be looked at carefully, minus the obvious non-starter, along with several brands advertised on sites linked to in the sidebar.

Wish me luck!

The Takeway
  • Budget is a prime consideration this year and doing things within my limits is key! Stretching my money and improving my preps is my first priority. 

The Recap
  • Nothing was purchased the past week, but I am actively looking for suggestions on what to sample going forward.

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.