Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Prudent Prepping: April Buffet Post

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.    

Here is my (almost) End of the Month Post! A wrap-up of the move, organizing and several small topics.

The Neighborhood
Things are pretty good, so far. In the old place, many people were retired, or had younger families with kids. Here, there don’t appear to be many retired folks; it’s mostly younger couples and families with kids. That’s nice except for the noise, which isn’t bad now, but when school is out could/will be worse. If I didn’t turn in at the same time as the average 8-year-old, I wouldn’t mind. Really!

Preps
With moving things up 24 steps just to get to the front door and then to the second floor, some serious weeding was done. I did take some canned goods to my local food bank, but I also carried some to work. There is a cabinet in the break room where people can find things for lunch, if they don’t have anything to eat. Occasionally someone brings loaves of day-old bread and packages of cookies. I decided to drop off some of my goods because if my co-workers don’t have food for lunch, what are the odds that dinner might be lacking also? Five cans of pasta sauce, five 1lb. packages of pasta, and five cans of chicken breasts were donated here.

The five 7-gal. water jugs I own were dumped-out before the move and refilled here. There was no way I was bringing 60lb jugs all this way. Yes, I know tap water will not go stale in half a year, but I dump, rinse and refill regularly. I’m still trying to decide where the best place is to store everything. These houses have been here since the 70’s, so the many earthquakes and seasonal heavy rains don’t seem to have bothered them. The obvious storage location seems to be in the garage, which is under the main floor. The problem I have with that is that the garage is built into the hillside — the equivalent of a ‘walk-out’ basement. If anything happens, I’m afraid my preps could be buried. For the time being, everything is being split between the garage and a large closet on the main level.

Personal Safety
We are still working on a first and second set of meet-up spots, given where everyone works, and how many freeway over- and under-passes are between our various jobs and home. Phone numbers were easy: everyone took everyone else’s “Outside the Area” contact, and one local contact, and added those to our phones. I’m trying to make everyone think about how to get out of this place as quickly as possible, and where to meet if there is a disaster when everyone is home. It’s a work in progress, but I’m seeing results.

Recap and Takeaway
  • Nothing was purchased this week, but my shopping list has long-term storeable food at the top of the page.
  •  Plans are closer to the end of the first draft, one of many. 
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!
If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.