Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Prudent Prepping: EDC IFAK Update

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

Back in February and then again in March, I mentioned starting to seriously carry first aid gear all the time. (It's important to look at the source posts linked in both blogs for the background and reasons for what I now have.) Now that it's the middle of May,  I need to report on how carrying it feels.



Maxpedition PLP EDC Case

Maxpedition PLP case being worn by the author

I have worn this case every day at work since February. I have tried moving the case around, and the best place seems to be right here, on my right hip. (I'm left-handed but use tools easily in both hands, so putting the pouch in different places didn't bother me). My work pouch is on my left hip and extends far enough back that it isn't comfortable putting the PHP behind it. 

Another good reason for putting it on the right is that despite how light the full PHP case is, I find it to be just enough added weight to pull my pants down even more on my left side.  

One minor irritation is how extra bulky the pouch feels when driving. The bucket seats in my Accord push the bag right into my hip bone, which leads me to think I wouldn't be able to wear it if I were driving longer distances.

Since I started wearing the Maxpedition PLP, I've considered not carrying the Adventure Medical Kit (mentioned here) from last year. I've kept it in my lunch box (which is close to me all day), moving it into my sling bag for the weekends. It's still is in my box, and I can't quite convince myself to take it out, since it has a wider selection of sterile pads. I still have a tiny box of band-aids and tube of triple antibiotic cream in my lunch box, along with some acetaminophen and allergy pills. 

Surprisingly, no one on my team has asked what the pouch is or what's inside! These are people who are around me more than anyone else, and who are working closely enough to tell who ate what for lunch. One random store guy asked about the pouch, thinking it might have been another cell phone of something similar. He was quite keen to see what was packed into the case and why I carry it, but after an explanation and a look at the contents he seemed to lose interest. so I don't know whether to try and spark further conversations or not. I don't see this guy every week, but the next time I do, I'll try to see where the conversation goes.

Recap and Takeaway
  • For me, carrying more first aid gear is better. 
  • Being able to carry it effectively is important, too.
  • Nothing was purchased this week, but the Maxpedition PHP can be found on Amazon for $17.10 with Prime  
  • The Adventure Medical Kit is on Amazon for $18.99 with Prime

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.