Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Prudent Prepping: Detour Post

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

I was originally going to post about my tests of the Parapocalypse cord I mentioned in last week's post, but things have come up since then that have pushed that review back a week.

What changed? Two things.

Stimulus Check
Yes, I did get one, and there were in fact several things that have been on my mind as needed additions to my preps but whose cost prevented me from buying them. Since this blog is about prepping on a budget, I've a feeling my problem is fairly common. However, as much as I wanted to buy some new equipment or improve the quality of several items, I resisted and saved most of my stimulus money. What I did do was use some of the money to buy... money.

First, I went and bought some more silver coins, which is called 'junk silver'. The price has been fairly low lately and I wanted to take advantage of that. I certainly don't have a hoard by any means, but I do have some that I can hold onto as an investment against inflation.

Then I 'spent' more money to get more cash to have on hand for short-term emergencies, of which California has had more than I'd like to see. Power outages and fires, sometimes combined, can make using debit/credit cards or even finding an operating ATM impossible. I put some cash in my GHB and the balance in my Bug Out equipment.

What was left over I kept in the bank, even though I still have a shopping list.

Personal Protection
https://amzn.to/2RU7kPB
No, not that kind, or even THAT kind; I mean the kind that more and more states seem to be ordering worn when people are out in public. The order came down that the group I work with now have to wear masks while working, all day and any time we are in public areas. I knew this was coming, just not when it was due to start. That day was today, and I wasn't prepared... well, I was prepared but my equipment wasn't with me, so that counts as not being prepared.

I'd kicked around the notion of going overboard with obeying the letter of the law and wearing a Shemagh like this to work, but in a trial at home it was too hot to wear, even with our still-cool temperatures. I still own one, though, and it is in my work gear just in case I get cranky.

Not A Happy Camper
What I ended up deciding was having a BCP member send me two of the reusable masks she makes! These have a pocket to carry replaceable and washable inserts, so these are far from disposable.

But as I said, this was sprung on us and I didn't have my mask with me, so I had to wear one of these masks with the very irritating Ear Loops From Hell all day.

Happy Camper










This is what I will be wearing going forward. I will also using the ear-saving neck band that Erin mentioned last week to protect my ears from being sanded off by the elastic band.

The pocket of the mask can be filled with different weight material, and I chose to use a layer of salvaged T shirt.

Before the comments come about how this isn't much of an actual filter mask, I want to state that the paper mask the company made me wear is also not going to stop much of anything when worn for an entire day.

My company wants us to wear masks, so everyone has masks.

Recap And Takeaway
  • Have a plan and follow it,  but be ready to modify as the situation changes. I wasn't going to buy silver, but the surprise money made sense to do it now. 
  • Masks like the one I have have to be made-to-order and where I got mine has a backlog, so I hesitate to mention who to contact because of that. 
  • Neck Bands can be bought through Jacob Rosecky with details in this BCP post by Erin.
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.