Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Prudent Prepping: State Shutdowns

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

California, or at least the urban portion I live in, is being shut down midnight tonight after many businesses were open a week, with salons and barber shops in San Francisco opening only yesterday. Other areas are less affected with reports (unverified) of rural counties telling Sacramento they are not complying with yo-yoing regulations. What does this have to do with me?



Recreational Area Closures
I was planning on taking a camping trip this coming weekend. I've uncovered most of my camping gear, since it is stored in separate totes from my tools and books; my sleeping bag, pad, tent and cooking supplies are together and ready to load. The last thing I needed was to buy several spools of new fishing line and pick up a license, and I was ready to go.

... Until this morning. The counties with 80% of the population are forced to take varying steps to try and contain the virus. The area I planned to visit is in a major county, but well away from the population centers affected by these regulations.
It doesn't really matter what your opinion is on what is or is not an effective virus control measure: the local rules stand and I'm home. Ah well, I'll make the best of the situation.

What's Next?
I'm using this week as a preparation/dry run for a Bug Out, if it comes to that. I have most of my gear stored here in my place and one other spot that is easy to get to and then back, and now I have to decide whether I will keep gear in both places or to only have everything here. I have duplicates of the most important items so I can actually follow the "Two Is One" rule for a change and not feel like I'm hurting my plans.

I also need to decide if it will be worth the investment to duplicate my longer term food supplies or not. After the recent smoke detector scare, I'm torn between the urge to carry even more supplies in my trunk and to keep things roomy and organize -- I believe I've confessed in the past to having a bit of a hoarding problem, and so I've made a conscious effort to keep things as small and compact as possible. Loading my trunk up with "Maybe, Sorta Useful" items that could be stored just as easily here violates my K.I.S.S. plans.

Recap And Takeaway
  • I'll say it again: have a plan and practice it, and be sure to have Plans B, C, D or however many you think necessary.
  • Nothing was purchased this week, but money is being set aside for future trips.
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.