Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Prudent Prepping: Car Maintenance

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

I'm in the middle of doing some delayed maintenance on my car. I ticked over 100,000 miles a bit ago, and I want to do everything to keep this car going as long as possible.

Keep It Running
At the bare minimum, everyone should be checking their own oil, coolant and tire pressure. It isn't hard and is covered in your Owner's Manual. Besides that, YouTube has as detailed instructions as you would like, up to rebuilding an engine. I also have the one of the better aftermarket books for my Honda Accord, the Chilton Repair Manual.
My Book

From the Amazon page:

Covers Honda Accord 2003-2012 and Crosstour 2010-2014. DOES NOT include info specific to hybrid or ALL-Wheel Drive models. This series offers do-it-yourselfers of all levels TOTAL maintenance, service, and repair information in an easy to use format. Each manual contains: trouble codes, electronic engine controls, maintenance schedules, diagnostic charts, wiring diagrams, tune up specifications, and much more.

I've used these manuals in the past to work on every car and truck I've owned, and the info inside is very clear and easy to read. I've changed rotors and pads, replaced interior trim, diagnosed bad sensors, replaced a fuel sensor and submerged fuel pump, and figured out that reattaching the front bumper skin is a job I don't want to try, all from looking at books like this.
What I did recently was have my automatic transmission serviced. There was a bit of a delay shifting between 1st and 2nd at low speed, and besides that it was time for me to start checking everything. The car had low miles for its age when I bought it, and my mechanic said it possibly was sitting for some time before I found it; regardless, it was affordable and I needed a reliable vehicle.

This is just the start of the work on my list; coming soon is a timing belt change and while that is being done, a new water pump will be installed since everything related to that will have to be removed to get to the timing belt, and it makes sense to me to get it done when there is access.

As I mentioned in last week's post and related to yesterday's post from Lokidude, having a plan and working it is vital. Since I have a car, what I plan on carrying daily is different from someone who has a truck. It also makes a big difference on what I can take with me in a Bug Out situation, or if my place is on fire and I'm tossing things out of a 2nd floor window.

I need whatever vehicle I do have to be ready to do whatever is necessary to get me to safety. I have budgeted for car repairs, just like I have budgeted for other expenses, but now that I've been getting some overtime the chance to some of the repairs all at once is something I have take advantage of. I only have one car, and it has to be running reliably.

Recap And Takeaway
  • I've never been able to afford having all my servicing done at either a dealer or a shop, so a book like this is very handy.
  • Be sure to have money set aside not only for routine maintenance but also emergency repairs.
  • Nothing was ordered last week, but money was spent to keep my car going.
  • Manuals like mine are available from Amazon for just about any car, truck, van and even motorcycles! Mine was a gift, but it can be ordered from Amazon for $20.95 without Prime shipping (which has been taking longer than normal lately).
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely change the water pump and for the exact reason you stated, it is the only time you will access.

    There are still a lot of maintenance and repair you can do to a modern car with decent tools, skills, and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.