Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Son of Get Home Bag

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

Well, more like "Daughter of GHB", as this was a request for a kit to go with a young woman who lives and works in serious snow territory. I certainly can offer a shopping list of the basics, but specific suggestions for Snow Country are a bit out of my experience. What do I do? I ask the other bloggers here who do live in snowy areas, or have in the past, for help.

The Basics
Since the Purple Pack Lady likes her assortment of basic items, I'm going to use those as my starting point. All of these suggestions have been written in many, many posts, with the tags GHB and/or Purple Pack Lady that can be searched through the BCP blog. Detailed descriptions can be found there. Most links are to Amazon.
  • Pack. This one seems to do everything needed
  • Cooking Pot. A favorite of the PPL, and mine too.
  • Cup. Another long-time favorite of mine.
  • Utensils. I have had a set in my lunchbox for longer than I've been writing here. 
  • Stove. Another item I carried for years and still have in my extra gear.
  • Matches and Lighter. These matches have been great, and a generic bic-type lighter is what works for me.
  • Water Filter. Yes, another item I've had for years and have placed this (or a variation) into every pack I've done.
  • First Aid Kit. I think this goes to Personal Choice, as some people want more than others. As a starting point, something like this kit is a good pick.
  • Shelter and Accessories. I have this emergency blanket, a 6x9 blue tarp (check your local hardware store), and duct tape in my gear.
  • Tools. At the bare minimum, a multi-tool is a requirement. How fancy it should be is your choice, and after that, please look at all the BCP authors' GHBs for additional suggestions.
  • Flashlight. Buy the brightest light you can afford and pack extra batteries!
  • Food. This is another item that needs to be tailored to your situation. Do you need a couple energy bars to get you home in 4-5 hours, or are you looking for several days worth of rations? 
  • Clothing. Another topic where your situation is key. I recommend at least one change of clothes in your vehicle, depending on weather. A hat is also a good idea. 
  • Personal Care Items. Just like it says, the things you may need on a daily basis, but not necessarily in an emergency. For example, sunscreen, bug repellent and feminine care products could be at the top of the list, while things like toothpaste, toothbrush, floss and chapstick might seem excessive to some. Build your gear for your needs.

These are just my suggestions, and the other authors here have very similar lists, tweaked to their personal needs. Please take the time to search their posts for suggestions!

The Experts Suggest...
I asked for cold weather specific suggestions from the gang, and here they are.

  • From The Other David and Erin, slip-on cleats to gain traction on snow and ice.
  • From Erin and Stephanie, long underwear for cold protection and the ability to be stored in minimal space. Either silk or a set like this.
  • The Other David also recommends glove liners and silk socks. I like Smartwool brand for my dress socks, and I think these will work well too.
  • Lokidude says to get waterproof boots for the wet snow and rain. I personally like to try on boots and shoes before buying, but if you have good luck with online ordering, carry on!
  • Several wool blankets or a sleeping bag in the car. A sleeping bag can be had with different minimum and maximum temperatures, so choose one for your particular area.
  • Outer Wear or Rain Gear. Here is another place where budget is important. Do you have $300-$800 to get a set of GoreTex (or similar) jacket and pants or is the traditional yellow rain jacket and pants what you can afford? A wool 'watch cap'  to keep your head warm. Keeping your head covered and warm will also keep the rest of your body warm. A wide brim, waterproof hat similar to this for rain and sun protection should be on your list.

I've turned this listing over to my friend and if any of our readers can suggest something we missed, please post it up!

Recap And Takeaway
  • Ask your friends for help with things when you don't have any personal experience. I'm always pleasantly surprised with the knowledge floating around!
  • Nothing was purchased this week, and I've nothing planned for the next either.

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.