Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Got (Dry) Milk?

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

Following on last week's post about buying now, I did some shopping! 

Following A Plan
I listed my rough outline last week for extending my stored food and one item was dry milk. After reading the post to several  friends, one mentioned the powdered milk already in the house, the Nestle Nido brand. I didn't think about this, as I don't use powdered milk or creamer in my coffee.

From the Amazon ad:
  • https://amzn.to/3JQV9vu    








    One 28.2 oz (approximately 26 servings) canister of Nestle NIDO Fortificada Dry Whole Milk Powdered Drink Mix. EBT item in eligible states
  • Nestle NIDO Fortificada powdered drink mix delivers 5 essential vitamins and minerals in every cup
  • This milk drink mix is easy to mix for a nutritious beverage the whole family can enjoy
  • Dry whole milk beverage contains calcium, zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and iron
  • Stir 4 tbsp of NIDO Fortificada Dry Whole Milk beverage into 1 cup of warm water

I mixed some in cold water following the directions and, while it certainly isn't the same taste as milk from the dairy counter, it wasn't bad! I've since used it in my coffee and on hot cereal and it was also very good. 

The container in use here is the largest size, 3.52lbs. I decided not  to buy that for my gear and instead purchased two of the smaller, 1.76lb cans. One reason for buying this is the fact it is whole milk powder and most things on grocery store shelves are reduced fat items. If it gets to the point of using this in an emergency, having all the fat available for calories will be a big help. 

Besides the convenience of two smaller cans for dividing gear between packs/users, one drawback to Nido is also the reason for me adding to my gear: it is full fat and that makes it much more heat sensitive and potentially liable to spoil faster. As this is something currently popular in the house, I am confident that with the inspection and rotation schedule in use with my gear, spoilage will not be an issue. 

If you decide to not order from Amazon*, Nido is something that can be found in many different ethnic markets, especially Hispanic and Asian/Filipino stores. By buying locally you prevent Amazon from shipping you dented and almost expired product, which is a common complaint in the online reviews. 

*No joke, every little bit helps keep this site up.

Recap And Takeaway
  • Purchased from my local Asian market: Nestle Nido Fortified Powdered Milk, $13.99. Yes, it will definitely be cheaper from Amazon, but I'm okay with the price difference for the reasons listed above.

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.