Friday, January 13, 2023

After Christmas Report

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

The holidays were very uneventful this year, since my sister moved to the mountains and there wasn't a big local gathering. I did get some interesting gifts this year from our esteemed Editrix Erin, such as assorted drill bits used in several Stuff n' Thangs projects I'm trying to finish, along with something I haven't used in many years! 




Some of you may be wondering what  soapstone is, why it needs a holder, and how it's used. First of all, it isn't useful in the shower! Its usefulness is in marking steel, iron or other surfaces when a pencil, crayon or other marker isn't recommended (or even possible) to use due to surface texture, or when welding. 

This gives a better and clearer explanation:
Soapstone pencils: Talc is very soft and has a white streak. Since soapstone is made primarily of talc, it will deposit a white powder when it is rubbed against almost any object. This white mark is similar to talcum powder and is easily brushed off without leaving a permanent mark. Soapstone pencils are used by tailors to mark fabric. Soapstone markers are also used by welders. The heat-resistant powder does not burn away and continues to be visible when the workpiece is heated during the welding process.
I was familiar with the welding fabrication use of soapstone, but I didn't know that the 'chalk' used by tailors was soapstone until researching this post.


My other big gift was something I bought for myself: a new jump-starter/backup battery to replace one that isn't holding a charge.  
 

Amazon pic
From the Amazon ad:

  • JUMP STARTER - 1000 peak amps of starting power instantly jump starts cars and trucks up to 8-cylinders
  • USB CHARGER - Charge and power your computers, laptops, tablets, phones, gaming devices and more on the go
  • RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM BATTERY - comes with AC, DC and USB adapters to help you recharge from practically anywhere
  • SAFE OPERATION - The Engine Start Smart Controller provides reverse polarity protection to assure that jumper cables are connected correctly
  • SMALL PORTABLE POWER - Compact sized, this jump starter and charger is easily stored for power when you need it
  • Always connect the 120V AC/USB Charging Adapter to the 120 Volt AC power source (using the USB Charging Cable) BEFORE connecting it to the unit.
What I replaced was the Black and Decker jump-starter I reviewed all the way back in 2017! Over the years it was used infrequently, but  was still very handy to have. The B&D unit stopped holding a charge, so I found something stronger and more compact... but at a higher price, which is to be expected since the Vector has a Lithium Ion battery. 


These two aren't the only Christmas gifts that had my name on them, just the two that were in any way Prepping related.

Recap and Takeaway
  • If anyone has something to send me and thinks, "Oh, this little thing I made/baked/bought for you isn't much", please realize this: if you thought enough of me to do anything for me, I will be so happy to have it that words may not come out. You can send/make/buy all the things you want my way!
  • I don't know where Erin bought my present, but I found a great description of the WYPO soapstone on Amazon: $4.29 with Prime shipping.
  • The Vector jump-starter is also on Amazon, for $89.98 with Prime shipping.
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.