Saturday, June 4, 2016

What do YOU want from Blue Collar Prepping?

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.
I'm taking off my writer hat for this article and replacing it with my editor-in-chief fedora to ask you, the reader, a simple question:

What do you want from this blog?

I realize many of you will say something like "Just keep doing what you're doing!" and that's great to hear, because it means we're doing something right. This little blog has been chugging along for over two years now and we haven't yet run out of ideas, which was honestly a concern of mine back when we first started.

But I am certain that there are some readers whose particular prepping itch hasn't been scratched, and I want to hear from you. What kind of topics interest you? If you aren't comfortable leaving a comment below, email me at the address below.


One of the reasons I'm asking this question is that it's been suggested I port my articles about guns and shooting from my nerd blog over to here, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, guns are of interest to many preppers, and there are quite a few articles on this blog about guns, and accessories, and shooting, and ammunition, and et cetera.

On the other, I'm not certain that my articles would be a good fit here. For one, guns are expensive. I realize that's obvious, and that many preppers own more than one gun despite the cost, but my philosophy regarding BCP has always been informed by my particular brand of thriftiness (read: stinginess) wherein I think that fifty dollars is a lot of money and buying anything more expensive than that requires careful consideration. So if I balk at buying something for $100, what am I doing over here reviewing (for example) a green laser for shotguns that costs three times as much?

For two, a lot of my gun posts have been in the vein of "Hey, I went shooting. Here's my target. See how I've improved? This is what I've learned," and while that might be of some interest to the shooters here I don't think there's anything inherently preparatory about articles like that...  but perhaps you disagree. If so, please let me know.

Am I too stingy? Should I talk about gear which I think is "expensive" so long as the average person could afford it and it's a good value for the money? The problem with this is that I don't have a large amount of experience with really good (read: also really expensive) equipment because I can't afford it, and so I worry that I cannot talk from a position of experience regarding "This is expensive but good value vs. this is expensive but is garbage."

In short, I'm looking for opinions on not only how to make Blue Collar Prepping more useful to its readers, but also to discover if I'm mistaken about what belongs here.

I look forward to reading what you have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.