Monday, February 13, 2017

My Candle Burns At Both Ends, It Will Not Last the Night

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.
For those of you who pay attention to such things, Blue Collar Prepping has been around for over three years now, having written about 915 posts and many, many words about being prepared on a budget.

This is, as you can imagine, a lot of work. I don't know how many hours my co-bloggers spend on writing their articles, but I know I spend several hours on mine. What many people may not realize is that I basically write two prepping articles a week: a written post here and a Blue Collar Prepping segment for the GunBlogVarietyCast. All told, between writing, proofreading, formatting, and fixing links for other articles, I spend between 10 to 12 hours a week working on this blog.

Please note that this is not a complaint, nor a "poor pitiful me" ploy. I'm going somewhere with this, and I feel that I need to show my math here.

In addition to Blue Collar Prepping, I have a personal blog and a freelance writing job, both of which I cannot neglect because they help pay my bills. Furthermore, now that Operation Blazing Sword is a 501c3 charity and gaining in popularity, I am being asked to do interviews and make speaking appearances, which also reduce the amount of time I have to write. In short, something has to give because I can't be everywhere at once.

At this time, I feel I cannot manage writing two prepping articles a week along with all of my other duties and responsibilities. I've felt this was coming for a while now, which explains why I've been trying to get another full-time contributor, but I haven't had any success with that. I tried filling the missing contributor spot with guest posts, but that didn't work well because 1) I wasn't getting enough of them to fill my schedule and 2) it actually takes longer to edit guests than it does regular contributors (because I can teach them my preferred format).

Ultimately, this means that my podcast will have to become my weekly contributor spot, because at this time I feel like I'm burning my candle at both ends. Should we be so fortunate as to acquire another full-time contributor, I will gladly let them have my slot and move the podcast back to Sundays, but until then I'm afraid that this is the only way I can give our readers Monday to Friday content.

To summarize:
  • I am not leaving this blog. 
  • I will continue my duties as Editrix-in-Chief.
  • I will continue to write the Blue Collar Prepping podcast segment. 
  • The podcast will serve as my weekly article instead of a Monday post. 
  • If I have time to write other articles, I will of course share them here. 
  • If we gain another contributor, I will let them have my slot. 
Hopefully that explains what is going on. If you have questions or concerns, please let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.