Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Prudent Prepping: Birthday And Buffet!

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

Buffet posts are where topics are brought out when the portion is too small to fill things up to a normal-sized serving.

My Birthday
Yes, it was last week and no, I am not retiring or collecting any government funds, but thanks for asking. Before I forget, thank you for the Birthday wishes, they are appreciated! I had a good time with friends and family when we actually had a party. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

A recap of a Facebook IM conversation last Tuesday night (my actual birth day):
Erin: "Go outside and check your mail."
Me: "???" (I'm really on the ball)
Erin: "You're home, right? Go outside and look for mail."
Me: "Yes, hunt 'n pecking my post. brb."
Me: [Posts a picture of a box]
Erin: "Go on..."
Me:  [Posts a picture of an open box]
Erin: "I wonder what it could be?"
Me: "HOLY S**T!!!"
Erin: "I'm certain it isn't s**t, sanctified or otherwise."
Me: "The Master Chief just walked by and said 'Holy S**t' too!!!"
Here is my gift from Erin, a Cold Steel Assegai Spear with Short Shaft.
 

 From the Cold Steel website:
"Our Zulu Assegai [as-uh-gahy] are made from SK-5 medium carbon steel, heat treated and drawn to a tough spring temper, and designed to flex or bend under impact forces rather than breaking or shattering. The Assegai blade is available with a choice of two different premium American Ash shafts (A shorter model for thrusting or a full length throwing shaft), and comes complete with a durable Secure-Ex® sheath."
This is the short shaft version, and I have plans to adapt a longer handle to the head (once I find something 60" or so long) so it can serve as both walking stick and spear shaft.

The blade is very sharp right from the box, as are all the Cold Steel products I've seen, but the edge is rough from the factory and could use a little TLC from a fine stone.

One question I've been asked is "Why do you want a replica African spear?" There are several possible answers, but the best is simply "Because I want one, that's why". I mentioned wanting an assegai in passing a while ago, or maybe it was on my Amazon wish list (It was. -- Erin), I don't recall... but Erin did!

I have the best friends.

Other News
My search for long shelf life food (first mentioned in this post) continues, with several items on hand and several more to be ordered. I was disappointed that one company I want to try seems not to have single items available for order -- the website doesn't show that as an option -- but I haven't contacted Customer Service directly to find out for certain. Fortunately, other companies do have that option, so I won't have to buy a large-ish quantity of poor quality food to sample and test. 

I also had an opportunity to give some of my gear a longer test. I recently went to a convention and since I don't sleep well in beds other than my own, I packed my sleeping bag and inflatable pad. As odd as it sounds, I can get a good night's sleep on the floor with this pad and my travel pillow. While there is the danger of a puncture ruining a good sleep, carrying a patch kit and the pad is still lighter and takes up less volume than a ThermaRest of similar loft. 

The Takeaway
  • Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it!
  • Being careful with what I buy is important to me and my budget. Sampling things is what works for me.

The Recap

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.