Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Prudent Prepping: High Sierra Sentinel 65

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate  on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.


An Unexpected Backpack


This is a special post for me. My fellow (and fellowette?) bloggers bought me the High Sierra Sentinel 65 backpack featured on last month's Woot! deal. I was thoroughly shocked and upset* that all of them spent their money on this, after I said I would certainly like the pack but could not afford to buy it myself at this time. Oh, and I mentioned specifically to the ringleader NOT to buy it for me. Kids nowadays, I tell ya. No one listens.


From the High Sierra website:

• 65-liter multi-day adjustable internal frame pack.
• Top-load main compartment with gusseted drawstring closure and adjustable top lid.
• Front-load sleeping bag compartment with divider.
• ERGO-FIT shoulder harness, with adjustable load-lifters, is constructed with HEX-VENT and high-density foam padding.
• Dual, contoured aluminum frame bars.
• Molded foam back panel with HEX-VENT mesh channels.
• Waist belt.
• Hinged front pocket.
• Internal hydration reservoir sleeve and dual exit ports for tube (reservoir not included).
• Adjustable side and bottom compression straps.
• Webbing daisy chain for attaching extra gear.
• Adjustable sternum strap.
• Soft lashing hardware holds ice ax/hiking poles.
• Dual mesh pockets hold water bottles.
• Tuck-away rain cover.
• Sleeping bag compartment - 9" x 15.5" x 8"
• Capacity - 3970 cu.
• Weight: 4.8 lbs.
• Body Dimensions: 32.0" x 13.0" x 12.0"

This is a serious upgrade to my pack inventory! I am still getting the straps adjusted to my body. The next step is loading the various compartments with my meager gear to see how things balance. I'm using 30 lbs. of beans and rice stacked around clothes to simulate a full pack, which seems to be working well at the moment.

I don't have a planned trip to give this a shake-down test soon, but there is one coming up later this summer.

All in all, I am very pleased with how this pack is built and the number of adjustments available to customize the pack to me.

The Takeaway
Good:
  1. Multi-adjustible shoulder straps ease the pain in my bad shoulder.
  2. Pockets everywhere, with easy to use pull-tabs on the extra large zippers.
  3. Lots of webbing attachment points.
  4. I need to add more items to my camping/BOB inventory. Many things in my car kit and Get Home Bag can be pulled out and reused, but I would like to have separate and dedicated items in every bag 
Not So Good:
  • See point 4 above. But it is a good problem to have!
Recap
  • One High Sierra Sentinel 65 pack.
  • From Amazon, $93.06.
  • My cost: $0.
  • Correct size and shape. 
  • Just what I was shopping for and wanting.
Ringleader's note: I didn't buy it for him. I contributed to a group buy. I knew you wanted it, David, so I found a loophole. 

By the way, David  wasn't kidding about "shocked and upset". Here's the selfie he took with the backpack. Notice what a beautiful smile he has!


“It is a good thing to be rich and a good thing to be strong, but it is a better thing to be loved by many friends.” -- Euripides

Thank you all, again.

(You're welcome, David. -- All of us)

As always, if you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.