Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Prudent Prepping: March Delirium

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

This is my first post-move blog entry, and since I’m too tired to make it into a buffet post, you get this.

I’ve uncovered some books and equipment I haven’t seen in literally years. Some of it is useful, a little bit of it is junk. Okay, more than a little of my stuff is junk, or at least items that I have no use for now. There is some monetary value to many items, however, and I’m not giving things away, but holding on until the unusually heavy rains stop so I can have a nice garage sale!

What's In The Box?
If I told you some of the things I found, you might not believe me. One of the cooler things I found in a box with my 1960’s Boy Scout manual was my Pro-Knot card with most of the knots I still use.

https://amzn.to/2TAauL3
I keep this card in my camping gear  to show those I'm out with what a proper knot for each situation should be done. It always comes up that "I learned to tie this from my Gramps" and while it is a good knot, it may not be the correct knot this time.

From the Pro-Knot Amazon page:
This six card set is easy to understand with clear illustrations for the twenty best all-purpose rope knots - see complete list of knots below. If it's on this card set, it is a proven, useful and trusted knot! These rope knots are universal for survival, boating, climbing, prepping, search and rescue, home and ranch, scouts, camping, paddle sports and any outdoor activity involving rope. There are step-by-step instructions for joining ropes together, tying rope to objects and making loops.
  • Waterproof solid plastic cards with no-rust brass grommet
  • 20 essential rope knots
  • Size: 3½ x 2¼ x 1/8 inch, weighs less than one ounce.
  • Perfect backpack, glove box, bug-out-bag or boat
 Knots include: Bowline (single best all-around knot to know), Square Knot, Water Knot (best knot for use with nylon webbing), Rolling Hitch, Clove Hitch, Sheet Bend (doubled version too), Trucker's Hitch (a must know knot), Mooring Hitch (quick release knot), Cleat Hitch (boaters must-know knot), Tautline Hitch (adjustable knot for camp guy-lines), Buntline Hitch (use for attaching rings, snaps, etc to rope), Prusik Knot, Butterfly Knot, Half Hitch, Constrictor Knot (bundle up loose items), Double Fisherman's (join two ropes), Figure Eight, Bowline on a Bight, Sheep Shank, Timber Hitch. 20 knots total.
I remember learning many of these knots in Boy Scouts, and since I don’t tie most of them regularly, the card is a really handy refresher for me. Someplace in my fishing gear (I hope) is the companion set of cards listing 20 common fishing knots.

More Reading
I mentioned this book in a post way back in 2014, and it turned up in a box with non-prepper books. It was purchased used from a local store, but is available from Amazon.

The Lost Lore of a Man's Life : Lots of Cool Stuff Guys Used to Know But Forgot About the Great Outdoors is a collection of articles from the the early 1900's that anyone from that era would more than likely know if they spent time out of doors.

https://amzn.to/2VYrgjF
"To restore men's rightful heritage, Denis Boyles and Gregg Stebben, the coauthors of A Man's Life: The Complete Instructions, have compiled a priceless treasury of forgotten lore and rustic hobbies that our forefathers possessed but that we have lost. Culled from turn-of-the-century publications and old scouting-type manuals, this guide is written in our grandfathers' language, with their sensibility and wisdom."

I am unable to take a clear picture of the Title Page, Table of Contents or the Acknowledgements which list what is included and where most of the contents originated. Seriously, this is a really fun and interesting book!


The Takeaway
  • While I hate moving with a passion that can't be expressed in polite society, I'm finding things that I need and now I can dump the things I truly don't. Even if it hurts!

The Recap
Nothing was purchased for this post, but you should check out:
***
Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.