Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Prudent Prepping: Smith's Diamond Precision

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

I’m still not in my own place, and it might not happen until after the first weekend of April, but my sister hasn’t complained so I just might make it! I have more room to spread out here and reorganize my gear, but in my latest round of packing I kept discovering things that I honestly forgot I owned. Some things are fun discoveries, and some are an absolute “When did this come home with me, and why did it end up in this tote?”

https://amzn.to/2FvyYeI
One find was a sharpening set I didn’t know I had: a Smith’s 50594 Diamond Precision Knife Sharpening System!

My co-bloggers pretty much shamed me into buying a Lansky Sharpening set several years ago, and I’ve used it often to touch-up my two pocket knives. That set is in a tote now, and I couldn’t necessarily find it quickly, but the Smith’s set popped up.

From the Amazon page:
  • Durable folding angle guides; angle guide with four sharpening angles to choose from;
  • V-Lock vise holds knife at consistent angle during sharpening;
  • One-inch wide stones; coarse diamond, fine diamond, serrated edge stone bar;
  • Micro-tool sharpening pad on diamond stones; sharpening groove for hooks and pointed tools;
  • Oversized thumb screws on vise; premium honing solution cleans and protects; fabric storage pouch.

Head to Head Comparison
  • Both the Smith's and Lansky sets use guide rods; the Smith’s rods screw into the end of the stones, while the Lansky rods screw into the side.
  • Both sets need to have straight rods to maintain the proper angles, so there usually needs to be some tweaking with both. 
  • Both sets have a guide frame with cutouts marked with the popular blade angles, but Smith’s guide folds and the Lansky guide does not. 
  • Both guides use screws to hold the knife blade steady, and here is where I think the Smith’s set is better, as its screws are larger and easier to use when locking the blade down. 
  • Another difference is the folding guide in the Smith’s kit; the Lansky guide is fixed, but given how each one fits into their respective carrying cases, I don’t think one is obviously better than the other.
  • One very big difference between the two sets I have is that the Lansky kit is a 5 stone set, but the Smith’s kit has only three. Judging by the tote in which I found it, it’s been buried from before my previous move (more than 6 years ago) when I really really didn’t have much extra cash.

There are obviously many similarities with the Lansky and Smith’s sets, and if I could put my hands on both, I’d do a head-to-head sharpen-off. Stay tuned!

The Takeaway
  • I can’t say I enjoy moving, but given the chance to do some really deep cleaning and sorting, I find I feel better about what I have, and now I can put my hands on things.
  • This sharpening set is going into my camping gear when I find the Lansky set.

The Recap
  • Nothing was purchased this week, but this Smith’s Diamond Sharpening system looks like a good-quality, entry-level sharpening system at a bargain price.
  • The Smith’s system is available from Amazon for $39.99 with Prime shipping available.
***

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!
NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned or given in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.