Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Restock and Realign

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

Plans are moving, slowly but surely, towards an actual camping trip this year. I think. Glaciers move, correct?

Gear For Two
Sometime during the last five years I lost some gear in one of my moves. From what I've uncovered and gone through in the totes I have with me and those stored elsewhere, I believe I'm down one complete 27 gallon tote of equipment. Unless it's buried in a corner where I didn't put it and under other stuff I didn't move, it's gone. 

It had a tarp, okay quality knives, utensils and cups and mugs, new(er) pots and pans, cooking gear and camp kitchen supplies. Of course, all of this is off the top of my head; I haven't been camping in almost four years, and since these items were the type I don't pack in a GHB, I never looked at or for them between trips.

Note to Self: After the family stuff calms down, dig everything out and make an inventory, with pictures and a list stored away from the boxes. 

From searching BCP blog posts, I found where I recommended this set to a friend in 2017. Since I can't find it, I needed to replace it, and I ended up getting a better (and more expensive) model. 

https://amzn.to/2TWLRJF




I want to have a cookware set that can be used on a liquid fuel stove  as well as a wood and fuel tab stove, and this fits my shopping list. I have used Sea to Summit metal bottom pans on wood burning and tab stoves (against the directions) and while it worked, I certainly did see where the silicone sides could melt if extra care wasn't taken, and this particular set will not have that problem. 

From the Amazon ad:
  • Two-person backpacking cookset is lightweight (1 pound 12 ounces), compact (packed size 7.75 x 5 inches), and efficient for backcountry trips
  • Includes 1.5L hard-anodized non-stick aluminum pot, 2.5L hard-anodized aluminum pot, strainer lid, 2 deep dish plates, 2 insulated mugs, pot handle
  • Camp cookware features a smaller non-stick coated pot for sauces and simmers, and a larger uncoated pot for boiling water and meal prep
  • Polypropylene deep-dish plates can accommodate any meal, and 12.5-ounce mugs are insulated with sip-thru lids; plates and mugs are color-coded
  • All cook set components nest within the 2.5L pot for easy packing; set can be adapted to size of group and length of trip

I plan on replacing the most important things, like several non-stick compatible utensils and cleaning supplies, very soon. I'll keep everyone posted.

Recap And Takeaway
  • Keep track of gear, even that equipment isn't used regularly. Make a list of what you have, where it is, and keep a copy where you can't lose it.
  • I purchased one MSR Quick 2 System Cook Set from Amazon: $99.95 with Prime. 

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.