Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Getting Home And More

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

A few weeks ago I wrote about several books I share with people who ask serious questions, and a friend asked about Get Home Bags. One of those books talks briefly about setting up a GHB, and that chapter is something that I've tried to follow myself.

A Basic Bag
In Tony Nestor's book Surviving A Disaster, the topic of a plain bag is talked about, starting on page 17.  From the book:

"... As noted during recent disasters, some evacuees had to walk forty miles or more out of their city before supplies were available! [...] Low profile and inconspicuous are key here- avoid the camouflaged, commando-style gear. You want to blend in and look like a student with a book bag and not like a Navy SEAL. Also, avoid the orange packs with 'Survival Gear' stamped on it unless you want those less prepared to know that you are stocked with supplies."

On the following page there is a list of suggested supplies the author has used previously. I'm not going to copy the list, as the items are open to interpretation and your list should be your list, tailored to climate and personal needs. Not to say the list isn't good; it is a little out-of-date on certain items, but use it as a good starting point.

My bag follows most of these guidelines, and that is why I'm really happy the Purple Pack Lady likes colors (here is a link to the purple pack). My bag was a gift, and while it isn't purple or orange, it does look a little tacti-cool. (Please see this post for a really good description of what's in it.) 

From the Amazon ad:

  • Materials: 600D Nylon
  • Nylon lining
  • Zipper closure
  • 17" shoulder drop
  • Military tactical backpack size approx.: 9" x 9" x 17" Heavy duty 600D Nylon construction with quiet Paracord pulls and adjustable chest and waist belts
  • Lightweight and breathable 20L capacity with 4 zippered compartments, 1 padded velcro rear pouch, and top carry handle
  • Molle style webbing, D-rings, and compatible with a hydration pack (not included)
  • Fast-release buckles and padded straps helps relieve weight and reduces fatigue when carrying heavy loads
  • Great for students, hiking enthusiasts, military, first-responder personnel, or anyone with a passion for the outdoors, everyday use
My one very small quibble is the MOLLE attachment points, which I try to avoid. If I get stuck walking home, I will be in decidedly urban areas and I really REALLY want to be as nondescript as possible. Other than that, this pack has room for everything I want to carry and is small enough to keep my packrat tendencies under control. 

Additional Questions
Last week I posted about buying a freeze-dried assortment from Augason Farms and I was asked "About how many days is this bucket designed to feed people?" From looking at the contents, my opinion is it should be considered a 72 hour supply for 2-4 people, depending on how active everyone is. I also mentioned it was not my first choice, due to the high carbohydrate ingredients. Not that carbs are a deal breaker; I'd just like to see and have some protein added, which I'll do with canned goods if necessary.

More Gear Changes
Due to lack of storage space where I'm at and not much extra room where PPL works, I have to reduce the number of 7 gallon water jugs I have and figure on an alternate way to save water in an emergency. I will keep two, as that is all the room in my closet available, but there is still a need to have more than that for everyone here. Erin has recommended a water bladder that can be filled and kept in a bathtub, so I'm looking at getting the AquaPod Kit 2.0 - Emergency Water Storage Container.

https://amzn.to/2W8Co3u


























From the Amazon ad:
  • TRUST YOUR WATER! MADE IN USA with BPA-FREE, USFDA APPROVED MATERIALS ★ AquaPodKit liners are constructed of food grade (lldpe) plastic. This material follows and stays within USFDA guidelines and BPA free. AquaPod kit manufactures their liners here in the USA! trust your water!
  • ★ liners are constructed of food grade (LLDPE) plastic. This material follows and stays within USFDA guidelines and BPA Free
  • ★ PREPARE FOR EMERGENCIES ★ Never be without water in an emergency. During a hurricane or tropical storm, water main breaks and storm surges can interrupt or even contaminate your water supply.
  • ★ KEEPS WATER CLEAN ★ Water stored in an open bathtub with dirt, soap film, and exposure to debris will spoil and become useless. Aquapod kit will keep water fresh for up to 8 weeks, depending on humidity and temperature conditions.
  • ★ 100% RECYCLABLE ★ NO need to cut any parts off water storage bag - used reservoirs may be recycled into many types of new products. Aqua pod kit is disposable and recyclable - Aqua Pod Kit is the only American Bath Tub Bladder to offers replacement liners. Our reservoirs have a positive impact on the environment. The flexible reservoir requires less space for shipping and smaller shipments require less fuel.
Unfortunately, due to the series of natural disasters in the East and Midwest, Amazon is Sold Out with no resupply date available. I will be hanging on to my existing jugs for the time being, just not filling them; when empty they stack up and can be wedged into corners easily. 

Recap and Takeaway
  • Please don't look at my posts as the only way to build a bag. Our other authors have brilliant ideas and different ways to arrive at a Good Bag. Read all of the posts available and then go from there!
  • Do ask questions, as what seems obvious to others may not be so obvious to you. A slightly different point of view can open eyes and minds.
  • Be adaptable. Getting stuck in a rut may keep you from changing directions when the time comes.
  • Nothing was purchased this week, but a water storage bladder is going on my Amazon Watch List.


* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.