Thursday, September 30, 2021

Short Takes

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

Here is another sampling of information that I can't make into stand-alone posts. It would be somewhat easier to do blog posts if Life stopped getting into the way, but I don't see that happening any time soon. If at all. Ever.

The Bag(s) Of Holding
Erin has written about her recent bag modifications here, here, here, here and here, while I posted my latest update here. Questions were asked and (in my mind) unfair comparisons made between what both of us have built. A further question was asked about total weight for the small-ish pack I have and what might be altered to fit around my Essential List. I'm working on that question and hope to have a decent answer soon. 

Improved Storage
With the loss of both places I had my bulky gear stored, I now need to seriously down-size and pack things into smaller containers along with getting rid of even more stuff. The largest tote I use now is 27 gallons, and still quite heavy if gear isn't parceled out correctly. I have a need for a reasonably waterproof small container, and think I found one at Home Depot: the Husky 5-Gal. Professional Duty Waterproof Storage Container. (Please follow the link to see the complete ad and better pictures.)

From the web page:
  • Constructed of a durable polypropylene and a polycarbonate lid for long-lasting storage use
  • 6-point latching lid and interior gasket protects contents from dust and water
  • Includes tie down holes to secure container
  • Heavy-duty side handles for easier carrying
  • Stackable for easy storing
  • Rated IP65

 This Husky Professional Storage Container is designed for all your heavy-duty storage needs inside and out. It features heavy-duty construction to easily and conveniently store most garage/workshop items efficiently. Built Husky tough to withstand rugged and tough conditions. Great to secure tools and accessories on the jobsite. The secure 6 point latching lid and interior gasket protects your items from dust and water. The high-impact resistant polycarbonate lid is the strongest available and provides clear visibility to contents inside along with stackability. This storage container will provide years of durable storage space whenever you need it, in the home or on the jobsite. Designed and tested to withstand heavy abuse from dropping, stacking and tossing.

This container has bigger brothers, all made with nice locking catches and a gasket in the lid for added moisture protection. I chose this container for my important papers, photos and hard copies of things that are stored with Google, with printed copies of everything also, along with a thumb drive kept with PPL.

Recap And Takeaway
  • I really needed to be nudged, hard, into doing this downsizing. While I'm giving away lots of usable items, most of it isn't necessary in my current situation.
  • Nothing was purchased this week, but my Future Purchase shopping list is growing.

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.