Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Erin's New GHB, part 6: Sleeping Gear

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.

So now I have a fire going to keep me warm, boil water, and cook my food. What's next? I think it's time for sleep.  See you next week!
Yeah, about that? Whoops. There's some stuff I forgot to mention. 

First of all, where is my water coming from? That would be a hydration bladder attached to the back of the pack. This particular one is a Camelbak of unknown volume (I want to say 2 or 2.5 L), but it's looking a bit old and so I've ordered a 3L bladder to replace it. Below that are my sleeping arrangements, which I'll detail soon. 

In case you're wondering what the white board behind the bladder might be, it's a stiffener board from Ammo Can Man to give this pack some internal rigidity, and behind it is a foam pad to aid in comfort. You can buy both of them as a set for $15.50 on Amazon, and if you have a soft pack like mine I highly recommend you get both of them to improve your backpacking experience. 



On to the sleeping arrangements. In the above picture you can see how they're stowed; the below picture is a more "exploded view" with the waterproofing bags removed so you can get a better view of what's going on. 


Top Row:
  • Klymit Cush. I reviewed this product elsewhere on this blog; it's an excellent "I just need a bit more padding right here" kind of cushion. 
  • SOL Escape Bivvy. Remember that I live in Florida, where it's usually 72° or higher most of the year; I don't need a substantial sleeping bag at all. Between this and the mylar tent I'm in, I ought to be quite warm. 
    • I don't recall paying $60 for this; I think it was closer to $25-30. I think the higher price is because this item may be discontinued. I chose this one specifically because of its durability:
https://amzn.to/3zQY0zd

  • Trekology inflatable pillow. I'm a side-sleeper, and so I have very specific requirements about how thick my pillow should be. I'm very pleased with this one; not only is it comfortable, but the flocking feels good against my face. 
    • But Erin, don't you have another travel pillow elsewhere? 
    • Yes, I do, because I'm one of those weirdos who needs a pillow between their knees to be comfortable at night. That one isn't as nice, and so goes there instead of against my face. 
Bottom Row:
  • Klymit V Sheet. The largest of all my sleep items, this one looks like a luxury -- and it kind of it, don't get me wrong -- but it serves an important purpose. Remember that I said I'm in Florida, and most of the time I'm going to be at 70° or more; using this sheet turns my Klymit Static V mattress into something that feels like an actual bed, meaning that I can use the bivvy sack as a blanket in hotter weather. Plus, it has a pocket to keep my pillow from sliding all over the place, and that's worth it by itself. 
  • Vacuum-sealed undewear. 2 pairs of cotton socks, 2 sets of cotton underwear, 1 set thermal underwear for the rare occasions it gets cold (or in case I'm further north). 
  • Klymit Static V mattress. By far the most expensive item in this section, and by the far the one most worth the price. A good night's sleep is essential for survival, and this mattress is both incredibly comfortable (even when side-sleeping) and incredible small (it packs down to about the size of a soda can. If you don't have one of these, buy one; if you can't afford it, wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday and look for bargains. 

I think we have only 1-2 more posts to go of this GHB pocket dump, but I'm not going to pigeonhole myself. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.