Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Erin's New GHB, part 5: First Out of the Main

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.

Since other, smaller pockets have been more than enough to take up an entire blog post, I knew I wouldn't be able to fit the entire Main Pocket into a single article. Instead I'm going to break it down into sections, starting with the first things I'll grab once my shelter is up. 

You may recall that in my post about the Quick Access Pouch I explained that it was also available separately. Guess how I know this?

https://amzn.to/3yS6IgY

Yes, I liked it so much that I bought another one, and I used it to keep a lot of small items together. So let's see what I have in that pouch or next to it:


Yes, that picture is blurry. I didn't realize it at the time, and at this point I've already put everything away, so you're just going to have to deal with it. 

Top Row, Left to Right:
  • Eton FRX2 Hand Turbine AM/FM Weather Radio with Smartphone Charger. I've talked about previous versions of this item in older posts, and I continue to love it because it's a flashlight/radio/battery bank that can be charged with a hand crank or an integral solar panel. 
  • Earbud headphones, because the Eton has a headset jack. 
  • Cable with a USB "in" port on one end and multiple jacks on the other hand, so I can charge a variety of things. 
  • An old iPhone charging cube, because the Eton also charges from a wall socket and that's the smallest charging device I could find. 
  • Halo pocket power charger, because why not have a lightweight power bank?
  • They're all sitting on a dry bag. 
  • Steel cup with a lid. More on that below. 
  • Knot cards for the Knotbone and Figure 9 Carabiner, as well as a "How to tie important knots" card because sometimes I forget how to tie hitches if I haven't practiced. 
  • Coughlan's survival candle, because candles are a slow and efficient open flame. If you can only light one thing with a match... light a candle. 
  • Wire survival saw. I know it's a gimmick, but I got it for free and it weighs basically nothing and takes up little space. If nothing else it'll be good for processing kindling. 
Let's take a closer look at the steel cup. 


Inside the cup is a vacuum-sealed collection of foods, mostly soups and powdered drinks. It's been so long since I sealed it that I can't recall what's inside. I believe the item which says "Anabolic Laboratories" is some kind of energy sports drink. 

There's also a lid, a foldable spork, a P-51 style can opener with bottle opener cutouts, and... Knotbones. Yes, I know it doesn't make a lot of sense; I put them in there because it's a small space and could find them more easily. easily. Look, what's important is that I know where things are, okay?

As for what a Knotbone is: it's been discontinued so I can't link to it, but the best way to describe it is "A plastic tool that gives you various ways of quickly attaching two or more paracord ropes to each other." I think it's neat. 



Bottom Row, Left to Right:
  • Signal mirror and whistle with float. Obligatory. 
  • Pocket bellows, aka "a hollowed out collapsible antenna without an end cap." Useful for a variety of purposes: blowing a fire, improvised snorkel, drinking straw. 
  • Firebox Nano Deluxe. More on that below. 
  • Plasma lighter with flip-up lid. I don't recall where I bought it. 
  • Bic lighter. Also obligatory. 
  • Roll of duct tape. 
  • Variety of fire fuels, including 3 Wetfire cubes, 2 Esbit fuel cubes, a length of waxed jute, and a guitar pick (it'll burn as easily as a corn chip). 

I'm a big fan of the original Firebox, and the Firebox Nano brings that same level of performance into a pocket-sized package. It burns biofuel (sticks, wood shavings, pine cones, etc) easily and comes with a plate for efficient use of fuel tabs. 

The X-Case holds it in its folded configurations, and also serves as a base to catch ash and steady the stove. 

The carbon felt can be used as a windscreen, ash catcher, or hot pad. 

You can buy the entire kit (except for the fuel plate, sold separately) for $50 with free shipping from Amazon and I cannot recommend it highly enough. 










Here's a video of the entire setup in action:


So now I have a fire going to keep me warm, boil water, and cook my food. What's next? I think it's time for sleep.  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.