Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Erin's New GHB, part 7: New Additions plus Food

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.
The main reason I do "bag dump" posts like these isn't to show you how to assemble a Bug Out or Get Home Bag, or even to show off all the cool stuff I have. No, it's because in the process of laying everything out, photographing it, and then explaining my reasoning behind it, I'm able to notice previously missed holes in my preps or flaws in my reasoning. 

For example, by laying out the contents of my medical pouch, I realized that I didn't have any effective way to splint an injured arm or leg. Sure, I could probably craft one out of sticks, but the premise behind my GHB is that I may have to walk home for several days, and if I have a broken arm or a sprained ankle I'd rather have gear that is quality and, let's be frank, more comfortable that something improvised with sticks. 

To that end, I bought some SAM Splints for my GHB so I wouldn't have to rob my BOB, and now I have both a 24" SAM and a 36" SAM in my medical supplies. I also added some titanium bandage shears, both to cut clothing, splints, etc for first aid and also just as a general cutting tool. 

https://amzn.to/3n6uHnP

I also acquired a CRKT Eat'N Tool XL for my Snack Pouch because I also added a pouch of Bumble Bee Salmon. I love this stuff, but it's difficult to eat with my bare hands. I typically use a long-handled iced tea spoon when at home, but I thought the added utility of the XL would be welcome. 

(Yes, I'm aware that pouched fish spoils easily, so if I plan to keep my GHB in my car during the warmer months I'll take the salmon out.)

https://amzn.to/3vFpnMd



Speaking of food, the reason I've been stalling on entries for this series is because during the course of the layout I realized that while I had snacks, soups and teas, what I was missing was bulk calories for energy. I had to try different kinds of survival foods in different pack configurations before I found something that worked. It required a drastic rearrangement of gear, but I made it work. 

I wanted something that was compact, as light as possible, would last for a long time, and would provide a decent amount of calories. I ended up buying two of these SOS Emergency Food Rations

https://amzn.to/3FWkx1L

Chaplain Tim reviewed these rations in 2017, and he gave them his top rating. I agree with his assessments and am largely happy to have these in my pack... although the weight (1.6 lbs each) is more than I'd like, it pales in comparison to the 6.6 lbs of water I'm also hauling. 


I bought two for the simple reason that each brick has 3600 Calories, and the average person needs roughly 2000 Calories each day. Each brick is supposed to be a three-day supply, but that works out to 1200 per day; this is fine for sitting in a life raft waiting for rescue, but not enough to get home after a disaster. However, two bricks is 72000, which works out to 2400 Calories over three days. Between that, my snacks, and my supplemental foods, it ought to be enough either to get me home or get me to a place where I can restock. 

I'm going to take some test walks with this setup once the temperature cools off a bit. If I can haul this without a problem, I'll see if I can fit two more bricks into my bag and carry it. If so, then I'll have seven days of meals, and that will make me a very happy prepper. 

Finally, I decided to add a multivitamin to my rations. Bulk calories are important, but just as important is proper nutrition and vitamin supplements can help with that. I bought a bottle of Vitamin Shoppe-brand VThrive Bioactive Multivitamin that was appropriate for my age group and placed a week's worth in my GHB. 


Next week ought to be the final post in this series, where I show you the miscellaneous stuff I have inside along with the configuration changes I've made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.