Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Erin's New GHB, part 8: Miscellaneous Tools

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.

Barring something unexpected, this is the last post in my New GHB series. I hope you found this "bag dump" helpful; I know for a fact that it certainly helped me. 

The following items are pieces of gear which are useful but don't specifically warrant their own category, so I place them in various nooks & crannies of my bag in order to keep the other pieces from rattling around and to make the best use of bag space. However, please don't think this means they're any less valuable than gear with a dedicated spot!

Spare Glasses
If you need glasses to see, then you must keep a spare in your bugout and get home bags. Several years ago I wrote a post on how to buy inexpensive spare glasses, but if you can't afford that, a simple if less effective solution is to put your old glasses into your bags every time you get a new prescription. 

Regardless of how you get your glasses, do not forget to put them in a rigid protective case! The very last thing you need in an emergency is to discover that your backup glasses are bent or broken because other items in the pack crushed them. 

Otis Tactical Cleaning System
If your bugout or get home plans include a firearm, you need a cleaning kit. I don't mean to suggest that you'll need to field strip your gun after you've shot it; rather, I'm talking about "I just dropped my gun into mud/sand and now the action is jammed" kind of cleaning, and the Otis Tactical Cleaning System is perfect for that. 

https://amzn.to/3FodQ7m
Not only is it small (about the size of my fist) and affordable ($36), but it will clean an impressive variety of firearms:
  • .22/.223/5.56mm
  • .270
  • .30/.308/30-06/30-30
  • .38/.357/9mm
  • .45
  • 12 ga
About the only thing I would add to it would be a small nylon brush (even a travel toothbrush would do) to help in cleaning. 

Sawyer Syringe
Not only is this needed to backflush your Sawyer water filter to extend its lifespan, but it's also a great way to irrigate wounds in the field. See this post for more information, and be sure to keep the syringe clean by storing it in a durable, cleanable container like a ziploc bag. 

EZE-Lap & Speedy Sharp 
If you carry a knife you'll need a way to sharpen it, these little gadgets are both effective and convenient. The EZE-Lap is a diamond hone that will touch up any dull edge, and the Speedy Sharp is a carbide tool that will not only put working edge on a seriously blunt piece of metal, but it also does an amazing job of generating sparks from a ferro rod. 

Books: Collins Gem Knots and the SAS Survival Guide
These are full-color pocket size books that contain a wealth of information. I keep them in a dry bag to protect them from moisture. 
https://amzn.to/3CpXnOd


 

















I recommend both, but if you can only have one, get the SAS book ($11). 


Thank you for letting me show you my GHB. If I make any more changes, I will let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.