Wednesday, December 15, 2021

End Of The Year Giving

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping

I have several projects at work, and more at home, taking up my free time between last week and the 24th. Fortunately, I still have time to do a small amount of cleaning and setup on the equipment close to me.

Cupboard Cleanup
Yes, rotating out stored food before the expiration date is something I firmly believe in. I also make a point donating to my local Food Bank, both with my surplus food and with my money. The area food banks are specifically asking for money this year, due to the shortage of staff to sort and stack food and the fact that, due to distribution problems, they can leverage each dollar into two meals by dealing directly with farmers and manufacturers. My local food bank recommends these items:

Food Drive Shopping List
  • Natural Peanut Butter and Other Nut Butter
  • Canned Tuna and Chicken in Water
  • Beans and Lentils (dry or canned)
  • Rice and Pasta
  • Whole Grain Cereals
  • Low-Sodium Canned Vegetables
  • Canned Tomato Products
  • Hearty Low-Sodium Soups
  • Canned Fruit in Juice
  • Nonperishable Ready- to-Eat Meals (chili, ravioli, etc.)
  • Please, No Glass!

The idea is to donate the things you like and eat, as those things are most likely to be eaten buy those in need.

One other thing: yes, this list looks a little plain and boring, so donate the things that you grew up eating and continue to eat now. Don't forget spices! 

A favorite addition of mine is powdered sports drinks, in either ready-to-mix packets or larger tubs. These give the added benefit of hydration and, if giving the sugar-free versions, slowing tooth decay and other health problems. Another group of items I try to donate are vitamins, both in pills/capsules and chewable versions. I don't get fancy, just B, C and a multi. (Yes, I'm familiar with the studies on the utility of multi-vitamins, thanks, but they go in the bag anyway.)
 
Bag Tune-Ups 
There might be one or two people waiting to see what I'm doing with the "Less Than 20 lb Bag Challenge" besides the reader who asked the original question, but that exact, separate article is still a work in progress. What is happening is The Purple Pack is being used as a trial run, as 20 lbs is a significant portion of Purple Pack Lady's weight. If I can figure out a reasonable assortment of gear, food and emergency weather protection that she can easily hoist, I will have a respectable baseline for tailoring a bag for an adult living almost anywhere. Unfortunately, I do have the added complication of PPL having serious ideas on what needs to be in the bag and what colors things need to be. Who knew the Apocalypse needed to be color-coordinated? 
 
Recap and Takeaway
  • Things are tight for many people, but look around: there's not just the chronic homeless, but also those hit by serious storms that could use a little help. Thank you for doing what you are able.
  • Seriously, I'm having to find supplies in color now. Wish me luck!
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.