Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.
Sorry for the delay between parts, dear readers, but the holidays happened. Now, on to Part 3, where I show you what I have in the side and back pockets.
Both side pockets are for items I am likely to need quickly and do not want to root around for. The left side pocket is for heat, light, quick shelter, and knife maintenance.
- Razor knife by Derma-safe
- Pack of tissues (can be used for blowing my nose, wiping my bottom, as a hasty wound dressing or as kindling)
- Mini LED Maglite with strobe and candle function
- 44-hour candle with matches
- SOL 2-person survival blanket (I have raingear in my pack, so this is more for warmth than for dryness)
- Firestarting tin with 2 rolls of duct tape, 1 box of waterproof matches, 1 hexamine tablet, 1 packet of tinder-quik, and 2 sheets of folded aluminum foil
- Disposable lighter
- 25 feet of FireCord
- Ferro Rod with striker
- Chapstick (protects lips AND serves as fuel)
- Lansky knife sharpener
- Speedy Sharp
- EZE-Lap diamond file
- Rust Eraser
- Pen of WD-40 (lubricant, metal cleaner, and combustible)
The right side pocket is mostly for hygiene and quick access to important tools, with some stuff from the left side that wouldn't fit.
- Two bottles of 5-Hour Energy drink
- Two folded aluminum foil bread pans
- Hobo tool
- Sillcock Key
- Biodegradable wet wipes (even if they dry out, they're still good as toilet paper)
- Dental floss
- Bottle of camp soap (can be used to wash my body as well as dishes)
- Hand sanitizer
- Wash cloth
- Scrubby dish cloth
Finally, the small back pocket contains snacks, important personal documents, and some items that won't fit anywhere else due to their size and shape (and which I don't want in the main compartment).
- Vacuum-sealed beef jerky from House of Jerky
- Chocolate "Prep Shake" (basically a liquid meal -- just add water)
- Nite-Ize Knotbone -- 550 cord connectors/tie-downs
- Repair kits for tents, air mattresses, etc
- Parabolic mirror for starting fire
- Pouch with punk wood and jute twine
- Survival snare kit (1 big, 1 small)
- Two Speedhooks
- Not shown for purposes of operational security: ziploc bag full of important documents, like a copy of my birth certificate
Next week: What's on top?