Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Prudent Prepping: Fire!

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

Fire Is Not Always
Your Friend
I was going to save this for later in the year, but the Southern California fire this week and our ongoing drought made me do an article now.

What do these things have in common?


How do all these things relate? 
Be safe with your fire. When camping, or in Bug Out conditions, fire safety when cooking or heating is my first priority. Boy Scouts drilled into me the need to have solid ground as the base for campfires; backpacking reinforced fire safety when using portable stoves; and watching over 3,000 homes and businesses burn over 2 days (see above) gave me added respect for wildfires.

If you own a house or live on property that might be involved in a brushfire, even if in a city: protect yourself by clearing your brush, leaves and overhanging trees! If you need a time sink, look up eucalyptus trees, their introduction into CA and their major contribution to the 1991 fire, with the highlights in the previously mentioned Public TV article.

Doing fire prevention prep at my house
This is a normal suburban neighborhood built in the 1950's, with mature trees in all the yards.

This is a picture of my street.

There's not much I can do about the neighbors' trees, but I can make certain no leaves are on the roof or in the gutters, and all the really dry junk is as far away from the house as I can get it.

California is in the third year of drought conditions, with people mandated to reduce their water use 25-30% . This means landscaping is watered less and is a greater potential for dry brush (which used to be decorative plants) near our houses.

The hot, dry weather has also motivated me to better organize my Bug Out gear for a quick exit from home, and to carry a bit more stuff in my truck than normal for summer. Examples:
  • Extra water. I'm carrying 4L of water instead of 2 in my truck.
  • 2 Lifestraws. One for me and one to share. 
  • SPF 30 sunscreen in my first aid kit.
  • Fresh tubes of lip balm. Spares and extras to share.

The Takeaway
  • Fire is scary. Use it carefully. 
  • Protect yourself as well as you can by actively clearing brush and other fire hazards from around your house. 
  • Make sure your preps account for the summer heat.
Recap
Only one item was purchased this week: a water jug from Walmart to replace the one I gave as a gift last week.
  • One 7 gallon water jug: $17.99, last one in stock! 


As always, if you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it, Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.