Friday, November 27, 2015

Prudent Prepping: Giving Thanks, Giving Back, Getting Ready

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate  on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

I am very lucky. Seriously, I am so lucky the words aren't there to describe how I feel. There is food on my table, a solid roof over my head and I have a job that is paying my bills, with a bit left over if I'm careful.

I'm Thankful For:

Food
With that extra cash in mind, I took some and bought a turkey to donate to my local Food Bank. I also brought some of the items in my prepping stores that were getting close to their 'sell by' dates, specifically bagged pasta and an equal number of cans of sauce. I donate to the Food Bank when I can all year long, but especially this time of year. The economy has recovered very slowly here in California, and while it is improving, many people are still hurting due to the outrageous cost of living here.

I bought more of the smaller size cans of Spam to go into my backpack's permanent gear, along with instant coffee, hot chocolate mix and cans of chicken to be restocked in my prepping supplies.

Shelter
It has been near freezing several nights this past week, and is forecast to be that cold again this coming week as well. Two thermal shirts are now in my GHB, along with a knit cap and a pair of insulated gloves. I am adding some extra hot drinks to my truck GHB and some extras in my backpack/camping gear. As I've mentioned before, I'm 'Bugging In' as I don't have a place to go, but I do want to be prepared to carry more items easily in the future since my job may be taking me more than a one hour drive away from home. If that is the case, the full size pack gets tossed into the back seat and I'm ready to do my best to get home safely.

Money
I have enough to care for myself and also share with others. Even more would be helpful in reducing stress, but it's not required.

Purchased This Week
  • One frozen turkey from Safeway, $24.67.
  • Six 7oz Spam cans from a discount grocery, $1.49 each.
  • Five cans of chicken breast, Sam's Club: $10.98.
  • Two 10 count Instant Coffee, Trader Joe's, $1.99 each. (Single-serve tubes)
  • One 10 count box of Hot Cocoa mix, Trader Joe's, $3.49.

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon this Holiday season, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The Fine Print


    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

    Creative Commons License


    Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.