Monday, November 23, 2015

Expanding the Pantry Menu: Adventures with Almond Flour

Naan is an Indian flat bread that is absolutely amazing.

What makes it amazing is that it's really easy to make, can be made with a variety of flours (useful when you're gluten-intolerant), and doesn't require yeast. This one was made with almond flour, and I've got a bunch of other flours that I want to try it with.

Recipe sourced from Organic & Thrifty.

Almond-Flour Naan
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/3 cup coconut milk
  • 1.5 tsp olive oil
  • 1 cup almond meal/flour
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • ghee or coconut oil for frying
In small bowl, whisk together the egg, baking soda, coconut milk, and olive oil until frothy.

Meanwhile, melt about 1 Tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil in a skillet. When ready to fry the bread, mix the almond flour and salt into the wet mixture and pour onto hot skillet, like pancakes.

For Garlic-Onion Flatbread, saute the following in ghee or coconut oil until soft:
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
Remove from pan. Proceed with recipe above. After batter is mixed, add in:
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

How It Tastes
The result can be summed up as "Eh."

Don't get me wrong, it tasted great; however, it wasn't the pliable bread that we all know and love. I also had to use baking powder because I was out of baking soda, which seemed to change the consistency somehow. The recipe also indicates that your batter should end up like pancake batter. It wasn't. I don't think that there is enough moisture given in the recipe.

If I had left out the garlic powder, they could have been almond pancakes, but since I was in the mood for garlic it ended up more like cornbread. As a substitute for cornbread, though, this recipe is fantastic.

The green things are Artichoke hearts. They have as much if not more Vitamin C than citrus

My next Naan experiment will be coconut flour based. Yes I'm obsessed with trying to create a version of Naan I can make at home! I can use it as a pizza crust as well, so there's double riding on this.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.