Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Prudent Prepping: More Unfinished Business

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

I forgot to go over my general maintenance and all the steps I take to set up my car for California winters.

Car Preps
The washer fluid used in my car is Rain-X, because the way it keeps water beading up on the windshield is really amazing. Combined with good wiper blades (also from Rain-X), the glass is kept as clean as anyone could want. Rain-X also makes a spray-on treatment for the rest of the glass on your vehicle, which also makes water bead up and run off quickly, almost to the point of not needing a squeegee (but not quite... I still need to clean off the back glass most mornings). One place that I forget to treat after washing the car is both side mirrors. The number of days I've rolled both front windows down and used a leftover fast-food napkin on the mirrors is greater than I care to recall.

The last place to use a Rain-X is on your interior glass, including the rear view mirror. No, not the outside products, but their anti-fog glass treatment. The weather has been cooling off in the evenings and after parking the car with the windows up after work, every morning for the past week the inside glass has been a little foggy. Without that treatment, I would need to run the air conditioner to clear the glass quickly.

There are stories of people not needing to run their wipers after treating their windows with Rain-X products, and I can state that those stories are mostly true in my experience. I rarely use the 'Constant' setting control for my wipers and leave the 'Intermittent' on the longest possible position, even at night.

General Prepping
Due to several Cyber Monday sales, I blew up my prepping budget for the rest of the year. The one item that I have a confirmed sale for is the Solo Stove Lite and Pot deal. I was gently reminded how awesome and fantastically wonderful this deal by was our Esteemed Edtrix.

Multiple times.

Until I broke down and bought one, along with the optional windscreen.

Not that I was unduly influenced. Nope, I'm my own man and can make my own decisions... really!

As was pointed out in a previous review of the Solo Stove, it works very well with the Power Pot system. I have a Power Pot in my second set of camping gear, so that is where the Solo is going!

The Takeaway
  • Rain, snow, slush and dirt can build up on the outside -- and inside -- of your windows. Keeping them clean only takes a minute or two. 
  • Good ideas are Good Ideas and missing out on a sale for something I can use A Bad Thing.
    The Recap
    * Ordering a set of wiper blades and the cleaner would be a good way to get everything needed to start you on the way to clean glass.


    Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

    If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

    NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The Fine Print


    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

    Creative Commons License


    Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.