Monday, November 10, 2014

Evie's Gear: Part Four


All gear shown in this series of articles is in a continual work-in-progress state. Please keep this in mind as you read, and also bear in mind that all gear shown is not top-of-the-line, "teh awesomes" expensive stuff. What I have is what I could afford, and I'm putting in the time and energy to either make it work or modify it enough to make it work. Got it?

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Okay, so today I'm going to show you the work in progress that is my hiking pack. This is more Level 2 stuff, like my vest and buttpack, but this is for non-bugout situations. (Level 1 gear is my OHED bag.)  I'll show what I have in it right now for hiking, as at the moment I have it optimized to deal with hiking emergencies that might require spending the night in one spot.   At the end, I'll show you guys a list of stuff I'd really, really like to add it to make it a full-on get home bag, but can't yet afford.

The Pack

Once a month, my fiance and I look at the list of things we've saved on Amazon and see if any of them are on sale. From there, we prioritize them in terms what is more important to have sooner rather that later.  Many months we can't get anything, but sometimes we get lucky and find an off-brand that works just as well.



 In this case it was a Fieldline pack that came with a 2-liter hydration bladder, which saved us money and shopping.  I think you guys remember me saying it was nice enough and well built enough to be turned into a GHB (Get Home Bag)?


Here's the hiking set up:
  • 1 hard case first aid kit, normal stuff
  • lots of wet wipes
  • 1 poncho
  • toilet paper
  • both disposable and re-usable pads
  • peanut butter
  • Lara bars
  • one large folding knife
  • collapsible cup
  • one (very) loud whistle
  • paracord
  • all atop the very trusty shemaugh.
As you can see, it would not take much to turn this into my get home bag.


Stuff to be Added
Now for the list of equipment that I will be getting in the future:
  • 1 pistol and  3 spare magazines
  • 2 more types of water purification
  • a second very small portable stove
  • another small single pot for the Level 2 gear
  • either a .22 LR or a heavy poundage recurve bow and several arrows.  (Because a bow and arrow are a LOT quieter than a rifle, that's why.)

A Parting Word
Finally, I wanted to let ya'll know, with it being Christmas/Yule season coming up, I'll not be here on Monday until mid-January.  It takes a decent amount of time to write many of the articles I'd like to do, and I have a craft store to run (check out my FB page, Jade Rose Zen Threadworks) and orders I need to fill. So I'll see you on the BCP Facebook page for now, and  I look forward to coming back here in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.